Monday, June 9, 2014

Repurposed Attic Vent Cover

This chippy attic vent cover was one of the treasures I brought home with me last weekend from the Alameda Antiques Faire.  I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it because I did something similar with two wonderful ornate wood vents several years ago.  Those are way out of my price range now, so I was happy to get a great deal on this one.  All it needed was a good cleaning and a little love.

Perfect for holding all kinds of bits and pieces:  a pocket dictionary, postcards, letters, price tags, rubber stamps, lace, and ribbon.  It's magnetic too.

The little chalkboards are made from bark trimmed branch slices.  I painted them with two coats of chalkboard paint, then glued a little magnet to the back of each one.

The bark trimmed branch slices were left over from this project...
I made about two dozen of these brooches last fall and didn't realize I still had these three until I found them hiding with my box of branch slices.  I used a small stencil and painted them with chalkboard paint, then glued a pin with an attached bail to the back of each one.  The branch slices are about 1 1/2" in diameter and were purchased online at Save On Crafts.

 A couple of dents in the bottom give it that "I've been around" look, don't you think?  Smaller items can still be seen on the bottom shelf because it's flat and not as deep. 

 All it needs is a couple of nails and it will hook right on the wall.  

It could also be used to hold mail and notes for the family or office...just change the numbers to initials. I'm not sure if I'll be able to find a permanent spot for it, so it just might be coming with me to my next show on the 21st.  






33 comments:

  1. Yep, that's brilliant! I hope I can start seeing ways to use odd items. I feel like the blogs I visit are my training ground!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMAZING!

    Who thinks of these wonderful ideas except you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I've seen it all! Where others see old "stuff" you see so much more, every time! I love this, and all the cute things you put in it! xo Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is the cutest thing ever! I wish I could have that kind of inventiveness, love it!

    Gigi @ Old World Patina

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE this! You are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea! If I ever see one at the ReStore I'll pick it up and do this same thing. Thanks for sharing it.
    Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a neat idea! I would have never thought to do something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's neat and would really be nice for holding the stamps so many card makers use! Love your ideas, especially for things that hang on the wall...saves space! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are ultra clever. I would have taken one look at that and tossed it in the trash. I don't have your vision.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's just awesome! I would never have thought to do something like that! Very creative...) Have a lovely week...Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  11. QUE LINDA PRATELEIRA,TAMBÉM ESTOU EM UM PROJETO COM PRATELEIRA.FELIZ SEMANA.AMIGA.VALÉRIA.

    ReplyDelete

  12. Amazing I would have never know what it was before you got ahold of it with your repurpose talent

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow!!!
    What a smart girl you are!!! Love Love!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. love it! so cute and great idea.

    blessings
    barb

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous repurposing idea! Pretty and organized - who could ask for more? Marvelous! Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  16. Betsy, that is fabulous...I don't know how you think of this stuff! I only sold a few pieces of jewelry although there was a lot of interest, so in that case you said I know I have to lower the price for the market. Thank you for all of your help

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a great re-use, Betsy! Fun industrial look!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay Miss Creative...you have done it again...another neat project and thanks so much for sharing it at my party.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Betsy
    "Fun"tastic repurposing! Now I can add old vent covers to my list of trash to look for at the next flea market! Thanks--I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You clevah, clevah thing! That is so smart, especially for displaying rubber stamps (they always end up lost in a big box at my house). Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What great ideas! I would never have thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is wonderful!! I just adore it!! I'm going to have to pin this, love how cute everything is lined up in there!! :) Happy sweet day to you!! xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
  23. That was another great idea, Betsy! I love your wonderful little shelf. Imagine how many of these vent covers must have ended up in the trash instead of being repurposed, sigh.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  24. You did it again! You are SO INCREDIBLY CREATIVE!

    ReplyDelete
  25. So cool Betsy!!! I just love all the little touches you add to your projects. Awesome.

    I found an antique vent cover the other day - I am going to add it to a project I hope to complete soon... but it won't be anywhere near as cute as this!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You clever, clever girl, I love seeing what you will come up with next ! Such a neat idea.
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Betsy! I have always admired your "I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it" powers!!! I believe it's really part of your natural gift and talent. If you give me that attic vent cover, I can consume probably 10 years to figure out what can I do about it ahahaha

    Hope you are having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting My Salvaged Treasures. Your comments inspire me.