Friday, February 1, 2013

The What's It

I had a tentative plan for this cast iron "what's it" when I bought it at a yard sale a few weeks ago.  The guy I bought it from said it was used as a kerosene or oil lamp, but the way it was set up seemed a little odd and it still had me curious.

The canister was already a tight fit, so why did it need the little screw to hold it in place?

It took my son's much younger eyes and a good magnifying glass to make out what was stamped on the bottom.  APPL'D FOR; it probably said PATENT on the other side.  Darn, I was hoping for a manufacturers name.

With the wick holder insert removed....

I think I'll use it as a bud vase.  

Or for a less industrial looking version, a glass tube does a good job.
I'm thinking a candle would be another mighty fine option.

The glass tube was a loose fit, so I tightened the screw just enough to hold it in place.

After turning this thing on its side, upside down, and backwards, I came to the conclusion that this sideways version is the way it was originally meant to be used.  This explains the key hole shaped slot and why it was necessary to have that screw to hold the canister in place.  Mystery solved.  Now I'm looking for an old piece of wood to hang it on.


Pin It
Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special
I'm a Fan of My 1929 Charmer Blog!

30 comments:

  1. Betsy that is a very cool looking 'thingy'!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever it is, it sure looks pretty as a vase! Have a great week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you followed up on that one. Who woulda thunk?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting wall lamp and like your using it as a bud vase.
    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you definitely have 'the eye'.

    this is simply beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good sleauthing! I kinda like the way it looks sitting flat with the glass tube. It has the odd steampunk conbination of vintage and modern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You super sleuth! Amazing what you can see in a what's it. I love it with the glass and I love it straight up and down, but it's very cool either way!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cool! I have never seen anything like that...totally adorable. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an interesting piece. Definitely unique.
    ~Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep, I can see it hanging on a wall, very cool as a bud vase. I would be afraid of a candle I guess? I am not so sure I have ever picked anything up and that I did not know what it was...See, you are a genius!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what a cool piece, and it looks good no matter which way it stands. It's perfect for a bud vase. You had a good eye when you picked this up. Very original. Also wanted to say thank you for your kind words about our precious Bo passing, it really meant a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great piece (whatever it is). It will great mounted on a piece of wood. I can see it hanging on a wall. Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cool, both ways! And love it with the glass tube. Show us again if you attach it to wood.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad you explained the whatsit!!! I am going to start sending you pictures of whatsits to identify. Love the glass version, what a gorgeous little vase it makes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love when I find cool looking "what's it" pieces. They are so much fun to come up with new ways to use them. You found a awesome piece and I love all of your ideas for it.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved it standing up, but I am really diggin' it on it's side. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a cool idea Betsy!LOVE this!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think it makes a creative and charming bud vase! -Patti

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! I wouldn't have deciphered that Betsy. You are superb!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You never cease to amaze me. What a great idea and creation!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is awesome...and I love that you found some many different ways to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. would have never thought of that~it is adorable used as a vase!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm glad you figured that out...it was bothering you, I think. Love the glass tube/flower holder idea!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You always find the greatest stuff! I really like this little piece.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting My Salvaged Treasures. Your comments inspire me.