Sunday, December 23, 2012

My Favorite Christmas Treasures

This tattered little tree has always been my favorite Christmas treasure.  It was given to me by my grandmother on my very first Christmas, and for a few weeks every year it always finds a special place in our home.

I usually don't do much to it when I bring it out every December because it's so fragile.  Just last week I was thinking that it needed a little face lift, so I replaced a few of the worn out ornaments with some of the mini ornaments from my aunt's collection.  I removed a few of the broken sections of the original bead garland, then left it alone so it wouldn't shed any more needles.

The needles are so dry and drop from the branches every time I touch it.

This sweet angel standing on a crescent moon is original to the tree.  

The ends are bare and the wire is showing, but I love it just the way it is.  After all, it has been around since the Eisenhower Administration.

I couldn't do a favorite Christmas decorations post without including some more of my vintage glass ornaments.  Several of the ornaments on the silver tree in the background were on our family tree when I was a child.  The smaller ones in the makeshift cloche are some I've been collecting for years.  See the stocking hung by the chimney with care?

It was made by my mom for my first Christmas.  Fourteen years ago she had to replace the
 top part where it says BETTS after Buddy thought it was a new chew toy; good thing I discovered it before he got down to Santa's face.  He was just a puppy then, but now that he's older and wiser, he'd be happy to just snuggle up next to it.  

~ ~ Wishing everyone a warm, cozy, safe, and very Merry Christmas ~ ~


Pin It

21 comments:

  1. A Xmas Tree that has been passed to generations? Wow, that is priceless treasure for you Betsy. Best of all, you were able to preserve it.

    Merry Xmas Betsy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great that you have those treasures from your child hood. Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That little tree is such a sweet treasure and I adore the topper. I have never seen one like it and it is just perfect on your little tree. A treasure-tree for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such wonderful memories wrapped up those Christmas decorations. Thanks for sharing.

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful treasure to have, Betsy!! I wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas!!!! (And hopefully a DRY one LOL)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have some great keepsakes, Betsy. That little tree is adorable. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What wonderful treasures you have from your childhood. Christmas is the perfect time to be reminded of these wonderful items.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Betsy that little tree is a real treasure! Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas!
    hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. How sweet to have your first tree! I love vintage ornaments, no one makes them like that now a days and colors were so perfect. When I lived in Minnesota we had the stew on Christmas eve, but always the ham and fixings on Christmas day! Have the merriest Christmas,thank you for your friendship and sharing life's ride with me

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely love it all, Betts:) I'm a sucker for all things heirloom. Your stocking, tree and ornaments really take the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is precious... A very Merry Christmas to you and yours...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Merry Christmas, Betsy! Your little tree is wonderful and to have managed to hold on to it all these years ... what an heirloom! And the topper is just perfect for someone's first Christmas. Wishing you lots of holidays love and joy! xo -amy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Preserving memories from Christmas past, how precious. God Bless you this Christmas and always.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your holiday treasures! Merry Christmas to you and your family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've seen some wonderful treasures on your blog this year...but nothing compares to this! What precious memories! I sure think of my Grandmother at Christmas. She lived next door and made the holidays special. Merry Christmas to you and your sweet family! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful tree, beautiful ornaments, beautiful cloche! What a wonderful post -- so great that you have these treasures.

    A Very Merry Christmas to you and yours Betsy1

    ReplyDelete
  17. Childhood ornaments are so special. I cherish the ones I was able to keep from my childhood. Such memories. Merry Christmas To You! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  18. What sweet and treasured memories you have to enjoy each time you pull them out.
    Wishing you a happy and blessed new year.
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Betsy, that little tree is such a treasure...and I've never seen such a wonderful little moon tree topper!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That was a indeed a treasure and I can see why you treasure them so much. I love your decors and ornaments. thanks for sharing :)

    Regards
    Marilyn
    Christmas decorating ideas

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting My Salvaged Treasures. Your comments inspire me.