Monday, December 3, 2012

Folding Ruler Trees

'Tis the season for creating Christmas tree art with my stash of vintage folding rulers. I've been using bits and pieces of folding rulers in small projects throughout the year, so I was pleasantly surprised to discover I still had a good variety of textures and colors left over for some more folding ruler Christmas trees.

I really like the size and shape of this one.  It's only 13" tall and a perfect fit in the stand.

Remember this broken mirror I found at a thrift shop last weekend?  I couldn't get it apart because there were no little pins holding the frame together and the ring around the back was not going to come off.  Time for plan B....

Why not make it a frame?  I placed the tray in a large bag and broke out the glass with a few hammer smacks.  I didn't have any fabric or lace that looked right, so I just painted the thick cardboard and glued the rulers and rhinestone button directly to the cardboard.

This is the folding ruler tree I shared last last December and my inspiration for the others.
Click here to see how easy it was to put together.

Don't you love using supplies you already have?  I didn't care for the dark brown stain on two  8 1/2" diameter wood circles I had stashed away, but a little paint fixed them right up.

All three are now wrapped and ready to put under the Christmas tree....just as soon as I get 
a chance to buy one.


Pin It
The Dedicated House for Make it Pretty Monday
Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Cozy Little House for Tweak it Tuesday
Knick of Time for Knick of Time Tuesday
Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special

40 comments:

  1. Wow, Betsy, those are awesome! I have three folding rulers, but I have as yet not summoned the courage to cut them apart! I shall have to buy one in really terrible condition to use for parts...

    I love the way you repurposed the broken mirror!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betsy I missed this last year.So glad you are sharing this again! What a cool idea! Whom ever is getting these they are very lucky! So cleaver,cute and cool!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful way to repurpose that pretty broken mirror. Love how the trees turned out, the background color choices were just right. Now get out and get that tree!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truly ingenious, in that way that makes you think it has always existed. You always manage to make me feel like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these...the colors are awesome! You think of the best things!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Christmas trees are really cute! It's too bad that you couldn't replace the mirror on that gorgeous piece but I do like what you did with it, good thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just LOVE them, Betsy!!!!

    You are Queen of repurposing!!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Girl, how on earth do you come up with ideas like this? These look amazing!!! Hugs! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. A cute reuse of the mirror tray!!
    So on the news all the heavy rains/flooding in Northern CA - Really bad!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The lucky recipents are going to be thrilled when they unwrap these treasures. Love the rhinestone bling at the top, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Betsy, they could not be more charming. xo, olive

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are so cute and creative. I could kick myself for not bringing back my Dads yardsticks. Darn!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are just so cute! Love the oval mirror as a frame! Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your creations always make me smile, Betsy. These guys are so cute and whimsical. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous, Betsy! I love each of these adorable trees.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great gift idea if only I could make myself cut up my folding rulers. It is a good way to use up scraps and they do turn out beautiful. I may have to fake it and leave my rulers alone :>)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is such a cute idea and I love how it looks in your mirror frame!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this idea! And what a gret repurpose of the (broken) mirror frame! Wish I found these locally at our flea markets. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places? Good luck with the tree hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are such perfect little tabletop (or wall) Christmas tree and I like that you left the folding hardware on the pieces of ruler. You have such a variety of colors and styles -- I only seem to find white or wood folding rulers.

    The little blingy tree topper gives just the right amount of *sparkle.*

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, these are so pretty. That mirror is fabulous...Connie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just so creative. You have a lot of creative ideas. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those are great! What a creative idea. I've seen the large ones made of old moulding, but never though of reducing them. Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is a great repurpose of the mirror tray and the folding rulers. Love. It.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love them all...I still remember the one from last year! Probably because I see it all over Pinterest :) Sooo fun!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I haven't the inner strength to allow myself to cut my folding rulers, but I do so love your trees, especially the one on the cabinet door. They are all so sweet!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love it, you are soooo creative! I never find rulers when I am out! You must be a treasure magnet!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  27. Betsy, that is such a cute idea! I love it and you did such a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love this idea and I got myself a few sticks. Just afraid of making that first cut. And the vanity frame makes for a prefect frame.
    Have a fantastic week. Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a great way to Upcycle anything that has a Visually Appealing surround but has Condition Issues. I often see those Mirrored Trays that Time hasn't been so kind with the fragile sections of, but the Metalwork is always so Lovely that now I will be Inspired to pick them up and make something new out of them! Thanks for the Inspiration. Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  30. These are some of the cutest things I've seen!! I love them all! :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  31. These are amazing! Thanks for sharing your talent with us.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love what you did with the mirror! I saw that it was featured, too...I recognized it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting My Salvaged Treasures. Your comments inspire me.