Friday, November 9, 2012

Transformed Cement Tools

A few weeks ago I made a quick and unexpected stop at a mid week yard sale where the guy's entire driveway was covered with boxes fresh from his storage locker.  Being in a hurry to get where I was originally going, I quickly scanned through the boxes and came up with three rusty old cement edgers.  I know they were the last things this guy thought he'd be selling to me, but I did have a plan and I wasn't going to let him in on it.

I've been keeping my eyes open for more of these old cement tools ever since I posted about the first business card holder I made back in March.

This picture is before I cleaned them up and sprayed them with a coat of matte acrylic sealer.  Then I gathered up some Scrabble tiles, rusty hardware, and brass edging from a salvaged picture frame.  

Two pieces of the frame edging were cut down to size with scissors, then glued to the top and bottom with plenty of room for a picture to slide through.  I glued a magnet on back of the pretty vintage brooch.

A different look with a larger picture.

Two pieces of hardware left over from another re-do were glued to the edger with E6000.  With the edger tilted back on its handle, business cards and pictures won't fall off the brackets.  
GIVE THANKS...I glued magnets to the Scrabble tiles and added a little bling to the top.
A vintage earring clips right on the business card/picture holder for some added sparkle.

A holiday postcard.

Three rusty old cement tools, three different looks.  I wonder what the yard sale guy would think if he saw them now!


Pin It
Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special

33 comments:

Periwinkle Dzyns said...

love that!

Becca said...

Love these!

Rob Hunt said...

Great idea being a carpenter and having done a lot of concrete over the years it gets my sense of ha ha. Thanks

Loretta said...

Hi Betsy, you never cease to amaze, what a clever idea! Love love them!
Hugs!

Peggy said...

I bet the guy really was scratching his head with your purchase, but wow what a great idea for them.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

He wouldn't recognize them! You amaze me!

Gypsea said...

I think yard sale guy would be just as amazed at your creativity as I am! Love them!

Maureen said...

Wow! These are so great!!!

Do you think hubby will miss his if I *ahem* "borrowed" it? ;) Probably not...

I LOVE these! You always blow me away with your outside the box (or in this case, outside the "toolbox") thinking!

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

I'm blown away and the yard sale guy would be too!!! You're amazing!!!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

He would probably be thinking - why did I not think of that. :D
Enjoy your weekend.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Betsy I love this!! I think I would love to make one. Now to find an old cement tool...hummmmmmmmm!!
hugs, Linda

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

Awesome transformations Betsy!!!! I have some tools sitting in the "one day I'll get to it" pile LOL I get a chuckle out of the look I get when I pick up odd things, like the guy who sold me the thingies that I used for my Gatherer's skirt :)

Have a great weekend!!

xoxo
Marsha

Kathy said...

You need to write a book and call it "What Would Betsy Do". I just don't know how you come up with so many great ideas. It's a gift!

~ Liz ~ said...

Brilliant as usual! I do believe the guy would be blown away. You should try going back to show what you've done with what you bought and remade. It would be fun to hear about the reactions.
Liz

Anne said...

What a great find Betsy! You have such a great eye to find a true treasure in everything you find! LOVE how you transformed this!
xx
Anne

Charm Bracelet Diva said...

He would think, "WOW!" You really have an eye for the good stuff. I think you could turn just about anything into something pretty and useful!

cynthia lee designs said...

Love these...they turned out great!! I just love your creations.
~Cindy

rush said...

i could only wish i could have your way of thinking...just a little bit! thank you for all you show!

Laurel@chippingwithcharm said...

I scoop up those cement edgers when I see them too. :) LOVE how you embellished yours!!

GadgetSponge.com said...

Fantastic ideas! I would have never thought.

Karen Bates said...

You are just too clever!

Into Vintage said...

I don't think I would have known a cement edger from a hole in the ground, let alone what to do with one. :-) I think the use of the brass frame edging is brilliant. And how I would love to paw through your bling stash ... I can only imagine!

Athena at Minervas Garden said...

You come up with the neatest ideas, Betsy! I love the one with the Christmas card on it and the one that's for holding business cards--so pretty!

Diane Writes said...

Hi Betsy! The yard sale guy might think you are fooling him LOL He might not recognize the original rusty cement edgers. If I were in his shoes, I would definitely be amazed with your magical talent.

Have a great week Betsy!

UPON A HILL said...

Betsy; I am lovin' your style!

Patty (Patty's Pretty Things) said...

I love to see how you repurpose treasures. Scrabble letters are so much fun to play with (other that actually playing with them in a game).

Olive said...

Well done. A fabulous repurpose.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Wow that's a very creative upcycle! Love it!

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

You do cease to amaze me, this is so incredibly clever and rustically beautiful. Thanks for letting me know you liked my Drop Leaf Table!

Donna Wilkes said...

What an amazingly creative idea! thank you for sharing this.

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Oh, I love all of the transformations!! I know I have passed up many of these...Not anymore!

Carol

KayteeJane said...

Love that idea! So great! I just found your blog. I will definatly be back for some inspiration. Check out my blog too - I love vintage as well. Thanks!

Laurie said...

You are so clever. I wish you were my next-door neighbor!