Thursday, October 18, 2012

A New Look for Some Old Trinkets

I'm finally finished with all my big antique shows for the year.  I sure do enjoy it, but I'm happy to have those early morning set ups and fifteen hour days behind me until next spring.  Now I'll be concentrating on replenishing my jewelry inventory and working on smaller repurposing projects for several artisan shows coming up.  I just ordered a load of jewelry supplies online, so until they arrive it's time to get busy with some other projects.

This rusty and tarnished tray has been in line for a makeover, but I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it.  It's really too big for a necklace, but I still wanted to pretty it up in some way.  I grabbed a piece of lace, a beaded chain from an old necklace, a metal tassel, and a pretty silver brooch with a broken pin.

A 1.8mm punch tool was used to make two holes at the top and one at the bottom.  I covered the bottom of the tray with some Tacky glue and pressed the lace in place.  

Three decorative jump rings were used to attach the tassel and the chain.

The vintage clip-on earring was an afterthought.  I added a few links of chain between the beads to accommodate the earring so there's room for it to fit between the beads. The hole in back of the earring allows it to be hung from a small nail in the wall or anywhere else.

I used some #0000 steel wool to gently go over the edge to bring out the detail in the pattern.



Next in line....another vintage hairbrush and mirror makeover using the same technique.


Pin It
Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday
My Repurposed Life for Catch as Catch Can
At the Picket Fence for Inspiration Friday
The Answer is Chocolate for BFF Open House Party
Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special

35 comments:

  1. LOVE how you used the tray! What a fantastic way to use it. And I LOVE old handmirrors. I keep searching for them. I want to hang them on the wall and make a display. But my problem is that I love the tarnished mirrors and want to display them, but I also love the intricate carved backs and want to show those and you can only show one side at a time. :( HOw to chOOse! :) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Pretty!!!
    I am looking forward to getting my supplies back out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful idea! I love how you used the tiny tray. You've inspired me! I have some tiny silver coasters begging for a transformation! Maybe they'll have new life as tree decorations!

    Thanks Betsy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it!! The adorable little tray has wonderful burnished edges and a new home! Toooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how beautiful! A necklace on steroids? What a gorgeous little accent for any corner of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your jewelry designs are so unique and pretty. Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have the best ideas, Betsy!!!!

    LOVE it!!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very beautiful. Your work is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful!!!! Is it a necklace? Love you trinkets:):)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I collect old hand mirrors also! There are so many different ones. They are getting harder to find I think. Love your pieces. The little tray is just darling!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so awesome! You have such a great eye to turn anything into beautiful pieces... I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty and vintage. I love it. take care, Darlen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Betsy ~ the tray is absolutely beautiful. You are so talented. Can hardly wait to see the jewelry you create. I just love your creations ~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Betsy you are always an inspiration to me!Beautiful!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  15. You've created magic again, Betsy. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Betsy, you continue to astound! Enjoy your well-deserved time to relax and create.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How beautiful!! You are a true artist! Found you on The BFF Open House on The Answer is Chocolate.

    Kristy @ Shona Skye Creations
    http://shonaskye.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Betsy, you have made a treasured keepsake. How adorable to use as a hanging accent! Love it soooo much! xo's Pam

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a pretty transformation. I love the way you look at things.

    xo
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such an inspiring idea with the tray. It turned out beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Betsy, Oh I love that you tell us how to make jewelry, I am so ignorant in that area, I love your ideas, and the actual wire size. When you break it down it does not look so daunting!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm sure you will enjoy having time to work on your jewelry again and I can bet that the recipients of your creations will be glad you did. There's just no stopping the gorgeous ideas from spilling out of you and being beaded into something someone may have discarded. Oh, to have your genius!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  23. More gorgeous creations! Good to know which hole punch you used too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. So VERY pretty...love to see the creative things you come up with :) Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, goody! I just picked up some of that Tacky Glue last week and now you've given me yet another great idea to try! Enjoy your show break!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this, Betsy! Can't wait to see the brush and mirror makeover.

    ReplyDelete
  27. That's really pretty. I'll bet you're ready for a little break from the big shows. Can't wait to see all the pretties you come up with now!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful. Have fun with the mirror!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow! You really do wonders and I will never get tired of recognizing your talent Betsy. Have a great week and good luck on all your shows.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a creative use of the little tray. Very pretty also. I love old antique silver. Looking forward to what you do with the hair brush set (I also own one of those sets) :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gorgeous! I'm pinning this image if you don't mind!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am in love with your vintage tray! I love how you've transformed it with pieces that you already have on hand. A bunch of these would be gorgeous on a Christmas tree!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Really fabulous! Would love for you to link this to my Craftastic party - I always pin my favorites:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting My Salvaged Treasures. Your comments inspire me.