Friday, July 27, 2012

Repurposed Victorian Ridge Caps

Yes!  Another project completed from the stash of goodies I purchased at the salvage yard a few weeks ago.  Dozens of these very interesting old metal pieces were displayed inside a vintage Pepsi cooler, and right away I knew what I wanted to do with them.  They're decorative Victorian ridge caps that were used like shingles across the top of a roof line.

Now they're rustic little baskets.

Here they are fresh out of the Pepsi cooler.

I purchased ten caps, but only used eight for this project.  The rusty ones without paint and the blue ones in the top right corner got two coats of matte acrylic sealer, I used ASCP on the white ones, and the blue pair in the center was left alone.

These were already full of holes from when they were nailed to the roof, but I had to make several more holes with a hammer and nail to get them evenly spaced.  

I'm not sure what gauge wire this is because it was something I already had.  I probably should have taken the time to go out and buy something a little thinner because this was really difficult to "sew" with.  It's a good thing I was wearing gloves.

I couldn't exactly tie a knot in this wire, so I finished it with a little squiggly thing.  A separate piece of wire was added for the handle and wrapped between the two metal pieces.

Here they are hanging on the springs from an old crib.   The flowers look so sad because it was close to 100 degrees and they had been hanging in direct sunlight for a couple of hours.  So much for the rest of the pictures.  Switching gears....

Side view.  Gotta love those geraniums, I couldn't kill them if I tried.

A glass tube was tucked inside each basket and covered with moss. 

Wouldn't these be so pretty with fresh or dried roses?

Pin It

I'm linking up and partying with:
Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special
My 1929 Charmer for Sunday's Best
Under the Table and Dreaming for Sunday Showcase Party
Keeping It Simple for Motivate Me Monday

33 comments:

Angie said...

Those are wonderful, Betsy! Creative, as usual!

Blessings,
Angie @ Knick of Time

Wax Beach Artist said...

You think of the coolest things...I am always amazed!

Loretta said...

Standing alone like this Betsy, they all have a striking presence! Love love them! I couldn't imagine they would be used this creatively! Thanks for sharing...Wishing you a lovely weekend!
Hugs

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Your creative mind just keeps on ticking. :-D I would have never thought to use them like that.
Have a great weekend.

Diane Writes said...

They are all pretty Betsy.. But I believe that they don't seem to easy to make. Just inserting those wires in the holes made me feel that ouch it wasn't that easy.. But hey, you made it look so beautiful and easy.

Have a great weekend Betsy!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Betsy these are so cool! I love how they look with flowers! You really do see things that no one else does! hugs, Linda

Kathy said...

Betsy, everything you touch turns to gold. You are A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!

Honey at 2805 said...

Wonderful Betsy! You are one clever gal!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

You did it again, my friend. Superb!

Michelle L. said...

Oooh! I was so looking forward to what you were going to use these cool thingies for! You did not disappoint! (Um, like you ever disappoint - ha! When pigs fly.)

cynthia lee designs said...

Very pretty!!

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

So very clever Betsy!!

Xoxo

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

You have such a great imagination....they came out perfect! Dried flowers would look beautiful.

cathywhatisoldisnew said...

Those little creative baskets just make me happy to look at- especially with those sweet flowers poking out the top! To display all of them with the bed springs really ups the impact.Love it! I struggle with what do I leave as is and what do I paint. You always get that part right.:)

Cap Creations said...

that's pretty dang cleaver, love it!

~ Liz ~ said...

I couldn't think what the heck you could do with these when you first showed us. Are you kidding me!? What will you think of next?! I guess I won't have to wait too long. Generally if I keep an eye out, you will certainly be up to something and kind enough to wow us with sweet closeups of it too. I'm watching and waiting for the next great thing. It's so fun!
Liz

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

These are adorable and I love your little squiggly thing! I'm glad you wore those gloves too.

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

Those are so cool, and so unique! They would looks great with some roses in them.

Jean @ www.thebackyardbungalow.com said...

That is so clever! I have some ceiling tin corners that I might be able to do something similar with. Great idea!

Toodie said...

How genius! I love that you altered them a little, but not so much that you can't enjoy the original look. Very cool!

~ Laura said...

This is such a super idea!! I love it!! What a fantastic way to keep the look of the pieces yet make them decorative in a whole new way!! I really love the collection of them!! Gosh, you truly are amazing!!!! :)

Kei said...

Awesome idea, they look so sweet!

Connie Mercer said...

super adorable!!!!!

Roxanne Reinhart said...

Once again you are amazing!! Extremely cute. Wow!!

The Vintage Chateau said...

Super clever! I never would have thought of that, they are darling!
Karee

Ivy and Elephants said...

What amazing vision you have to come up with such a creative use for these! They are absolutely wonderful.
(And now I know what they are!)
Hugs,
Patti

Pam said...

You have such a talent for seeing the potential of each of your finds. I continue to be amazed by your creative talens. Lovely flowers!

Linda Walker said...

These are just the cutest! I love the way you finished the wire. So unique and can be decorated for any season!
Linda
mysewwhatblog

Julia - "Vintage with Laces" said...

Fabulous idea, Betsy! They turned out great and look so pretty decorated with the flowers.
xoxo,
Julia

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

I don't think I have ever seen these roof caps before? But gosh now I'm on the lookout for them! Love how you made the planters, so darn cute. You are one pretty, creative girl. I love how they look against the old crib, gosh I have been looking forever for a crib. Your planters are so very pretty! So glad you shared your creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best – your creativity helped make the party a success

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

Forgot to tell you I am now following on Facebook!

Peggy said...

Those turned out really nice. Those could be used in a thousand different places inside and out. Very creative!

Karen Bates said...

When I saw those, I just could not imagine what you would make. You knocked my sox off!! Love, love, love them....especially on the crib springs! Just over the top cute....