Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Gold Country Junking Finds

I went on a little field trip out to the Gold Country on Sunday with my son and his girlfriend. We left town around 9:30am (a late start for me) and arrived in Jamestown one hour and twenty minutes later.  When we're over this way, we like to stop in Jamestown, Sonora, and Columbia for a day of junking, eating, sight seeing, and more junking.

This unfortunate guy has been hanging here for as long as I can remember.

After some shopping and lunch, the next stop was in Sonora just a few miles down the road.  This is my favorite shop in town....In Town Antiques is located at 81 S. Washington Street right in the middle of all the historic buildings.

 This picture really doesn't do them justice, but look at these awesome walls.  When they removed the old paneling, these beautiful and colorful plaster walls were unveiled.  Part of the plaster stuck to the paneling when it was removed and left behind all these interesting patterns.  They call the shape on top (just to the left of center) a kangaroo.  The larger shape below it is a bat on the left side and an alligator on the right.  

Isn't she gorgeous?

I was tempted on these fabulous rusty drawers, but was talked out of them by my sensible side.  I did purchase some of the zinc tags.  

This is what I came home with.  Most of these were purchased at two of the antique malls in Jamestown. The old towel holder in the back will be perfect for displaying necklaces, the wooden bucket needs a paint job, and that brush thingie sticking out of it will probably be repurposed.  I love the rusty birdcage even without a bottom.

This is upside down to show off the detail.   It's a hanging candle holder with chain and a hook attached to the smaller decorate piece on the top left.  Hmm, I can see it with moss and a plant.

I never pass up a good deal on old doorknobs.

A quadruple plate butter dish with an ice well, rhinestone jewelry, and wooden dice.

I spotted this vintage collapsible laundry basket at a yard sale on Saturday; my favorite find of the weekend.  This sale wasn't on my list, but I stopped in a big hurry when I saw it sitting in the driveway.  It's been a few years since I had one of these and this one was such a bargain!!  Found the tablecloths for next to nothing;  hope I can get the stains out.


This idea came to mind as I was folding it up...the accidental table.
It's the perfect size for an end table.  I grabbed the silver tray and bucket of flowers for a quick picture, but wouldn't this be wonderful with glass on top?

I'm sharing my junk with:
Knick of Time for Knick of Time Tuesday
From My Front Porch To Yours for Treasure Hunt Thursday
The Vintage Farmhouse for Creative Things Thursday
The Colorado Lady for Vintage Thingie Thursday
The Thrifty Groove for Thrifty Things Friday

Pin It

36 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful outing. And some really great finds. I love the collapsible laundry basket. I have wanted one of these forever!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the bird cage. It is like a bird cage "cloche" ;)
    I follow your blog by email. Love your jewelry too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now this looks like a fun time was had by all! Shopping and food! Love that laundry basket thing...I've never seen one but it is awesome. Love that butter dish...really pretty!! Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great finds, Betsy!!! I love Jamestown and Sonora . . . . was just up there in May or was it June?!? Oh, my, the months are flying by so quickly. It'll be Halloween before you know it!!!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a fun day trip, and found lots of nice treasures. Always have to stop for a food break on a road trip. :D
    I had to venture out in the heat again today. Suppose to be 99 with heat index of 107 tomorrow and I have to get out again.:(
    Enjoy your evening.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness what fun! I love the things you picked up -particularly the zinc tags, folding laundry cart,doorknobs and the shop is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun trip it looks like you had. I'm digging the laundry basket. It's so cool. Have a blessed day. Brandy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful finds...can't wait to see what you do with the hanging candle holder. Would LOVE to have a folding laundry basket....will be on the look-out for one.
    Blessings, Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!! Your finds always inspire me!! Thank you for saying what the butter dish is!! My mom passed a few family things to me years ago and I've been stumped on what it was all this time!! :) Thank you!!!

    The table from the laundry basket is very cute!! I like how delicate it looks!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that folding laundry basket. Great finds. sounds like you had a great time with your son and his girl friend. Precious moments.
    cheers,
    Miss Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another loot of heavenly goodies for you Betsy! I can't wait to see what surprises you will be giving us :) And that man out there is still unfortunate hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Betsy,
    What a fun shop!I spotted lots of things I would LOVE.And you found one of them.That basket is a great find!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not a single thing I would not have bought myself. That candle holder is super and what a great idea for that folding laundry basket. I just bought a bird cage myself also without a bottom. When you think about...do you really want the bottom of a bird cage? I think we'd be in big trouble if we were ever to shop together. Great finds. Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, how fun! We are going down to visit the MIL in October and maybe I can talk them into a visit to Jamestown. I have not been there in many years. Last trip I discovered a great little shop in San Andreas but couldn't get the rest of the gang to stay as long as I would have liked. What's up with THAT - LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fun! I have never been to either of those towns. Need to go now! Looks like fun. You found some great treasure. I love all the hardware. Love it...the accidental table ;) Have you been to Folsom since the town got an overhaul? That's a fun place to antique shop too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What wonderful finds, Betsy...and a perfect way to spend a day! I really love the laundry basket...and using it as a table is so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Betsy what a great outing and I love, love all of your finds!! The Laundry basket/ table is perfect!!

    YOU are the winner of my Royal Design Stencil Giveaway! Email with with your choice and mailing info,

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  18. Excellent finds! The wire basket is my fav, too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely junk/treasures! Sounds like so much fun to spend a day this way!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like a perfect day to me. I love what you found, especially the laundry basket/table, and very neat that it folds up if you ever wanted to store it. Thank you for taking us along on your thrifting trip--I enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm knocking around the Gold Country all the time on the weekend.

    I've mentioned you in my 8/1/12 post. Give it a look-see!

    http://thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com/2012/08/day-1-of-photography-challenge-your.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would LOVE to have the mannequin!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  23. I so want that laundry basket! I did a post a while back about how to make your own French wire laundry basket. I'd much rather find one at a yard sale! Lucky duck. The rest of the stuff is awesome, too. Haven't been able to go junking for a while, so I'll just live vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is just the place I would really enjoy. I am glad you shared your trip with us.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The accidental table-awesome! You found some great stuff as usual. How would you repurpose that bristle thingy in the little bucket?

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a fun outing! I love the neat treasures you were able to find, that collapsible laundry basket is the best!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  27. WOW, the walls are so beautiful. What an atmosphere is creates to buy some wonderful items, I love collecting doorknobs and bird cages. You found a jewell in that basket.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  28. I disagree with not buying the drawers being sensible. They looked pretty cool. Looks like you had a great day though.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love all you fabulous finds!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a fun place to visit! And all your treasures are wonderful! Thank you for sharing at TTf. I hope you have a terrific weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Awesome finds! I think we are junkie' soul mates :-)
    I visited from The Vintage Farmhouse party.

    ReplyDelete
  32. You did good...love the laundry table....what a sweet idea. Of course, I also love the door knobs...you know me, never pass them up if I can.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh, I missed this post! You have a great eye for junk....That was a compliment LOL!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you for taking us treasure hunting with you Betsy! I love your laundry basket. Thanx for partying at my place.

    ReplyDelete
  35. So many fun things. I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting My Salvaged Treasures. Your comments inspire me.