Friday, May 18, 2012

Not Just a Rusty Old Milk Crate

This rusty old Borden's milk crate has been hanging out next to my potting bench for too long. Its only job so far has been to hold some small empty pots, so it was time for a promotion. 

I found an old board and pulled out the large roll of jute webbing I bought at an estate sale a few weeks ago for $1.00.

The crate was rusty and dirty, but full of potential.

So what do you do with all these ingredients?

Make a footstool of course.

I cut off a piece of wood from an old shelf that was no longer being used, then cut a piece of muslin 2" larger than the board and a piece of batting about 1" larger than the board. 

Then I wrapped it around the board and secured it with 1/2" staples.

I wove six 18" strips of the old jute webbing, wrapped it around to the back and stapled it again.

After putting it all together, the muslin showed through in a few spots and looked too white.  I know it seems minor, but you know how these things can drive you crazy.  I removed the staples and added a piece of burlap between the muslin and webbing; now the gaps are much less noticeable.

To secure the two pieces, screws and washers were screwed into the bottom of the board from the inside of the crate bottom.

I sprayed the entire crate inside and out with two coats of matte acrylic sealer so it can also be used in a casual indoor setting.

Time to move the tray, put my feet up, and relax awhile.


I'm partying with:
Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special
Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Keeping It Simple for Motivate Me Monday
I Should be Mopping the Floor for Mop It Up Mondays


Pin It

36 comments:

Connie Mercer said...

turned out amazing. I have one of those too, maybe time :):)

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

Perfect!!!! I almost bought a crate like that at Roses and Rust!!!! Story of my life . . almost, LOL

Hope you have a great weekend!!

xoxo

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Love it - You did good !
Have a great weekend.

Melissa said...

perfect! :)

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love it! Perfect for summertime fun!

Laurie said...

Oh -- I'm so envious! My mother's one and only job when she was single was as a bookkeeper for Borden's! And then when I was single, I worked for Borden's, too! I'm always on the lookout for stuff with their logo. You did a great job!

Kathy said...

Love the way this turned out! I have a roll of that jute webbing left over from a "ground up" restoration I did on a chair. I'm going to have to put it somewhere that I can see it and hope something percolates.

aimee said...

what a fab project i love it xxxx

Okio B Designs said...

So smart and very industrial chic!

Jeanine

Maureen said...

Ha! Brilliant! Love the look.

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

FANTASTIC -- love the webbing as the cover! It looks so beautiful!

Michelle L. said...

Too pretty for words! I love the woven webbing - what a brilliant repurposing once again! Now what can I do with the 40 plastic milk crates I recently inherited? Do help me, Betsy!

Creations By Cindy said...

Turned out wonderful! Thanks for stopping by to visit too! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Loretta said...

No one but you Betsy would have thought to use these treasures this way! Such creativity Girl!!

Hugs,
Loretta

Anne said...

Betsy,
Great idea!Looks perfect.
Anne

DearHelenHartman said...

Brilliant!Love the crate on it's own and did not think of making it into a footstool but it's too cute.

The Polka Dot Closet said...

That is spectacular, I bet it will be everyone's favorite stool and it will withstand the weather too!

Carol

Charm Bracelet Diva said...

Omg, I have an old metal crate I've been trying to figure out what to do with....I love your idea, it looks very chic. I don't think my crate has the holes, though, so I'll have to figure out a way to secure the wood...hhhmmmm you've got me thinking! Love it.

~ Laura said...

Wow, I love how you take items that to me are totally random and make something amazingly cool!!! You are so talented!!!

outjunking said...

This is a first, I have never seen this done before looks great.
Lisa

Diane Writes said...

Hi Betsy! When God gave away creativity, I think that you were in front of the line. You have everything. You are amazing! You never fail to amaze me with your transformations. You are like the fairy godmother of every junk and vintage stuff I never imagined to be transformed.

The Pickin' Pair said...

Awesome! I just love the way it came out. Great way to repourpose something not being used! LOVE!

Donna Wilkes said...

And to think I just use mine to sit and pull weeds. How clever! Came over from Funky Junk. Now I will have to go rescue that crate!

Distressed Donna Down Home (newest Linky follower!)

Susan @ homeroad.net said...

Love this idea and I'm sitting right next to a milk crate right now!
Thanks for the inspiration!
Susan
Homeroad

Little Vintage Cottage said...

It looks great! I love the woven top you made for it! I have one of the newer plastic milk crates... I wonder what it would look like if I sprayed it with some of the metal looking spray paint and made a top like yours for it... hmmm :)

Tania

Pam said...

Love this little stool. You have such a talent for blending your finds into a unique one-of-a-kind treasure.
Hope you are enjoying a wonderful weekend.

Lori Anderson said...

I absolutely love it! I'm always eyeing things for the potential in what they can become.

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Get out! I love it, Betsy. I'm a webbing fanatic, so this speaks to me. Have I ever told you that I love your creativity? Oh yes, constantly.

A Cottage Muse said...

That looks beautiful...so unique!

Small Holdings Farm said...

Absolutely perfect as an outdoor footstool...I have a milk crate...now for some webbing...
I am your newest follower and would love it if you would follow me back. Thanks, http://smallholdings.blogspot.com
Thanks, Sherron

Faire Notions said...

Love how everything was repurposed in to a much need element for pure satisfying relaxation. Like it's indoor/outdoor quality too. Lisa

Jody and Stan said...

So creative! What an awesome new piece to your pool area. Thanks for sharing.

Jody

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Thanks my friend for sharing this neat idea...I might just try something like this.

Blessings,
Linda

Liz - Imageremix said...

okay...that's just too dang cute! So clever!
Liz

Laurel@chippingwithcharm said...

Oh my, I love this sooo much!

Art and Sand said...

I think my husband is going to lose the milk crate he stores some of his art supplies in!

I think even I could make this.