Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Antique Show Projects

I wanted to share a few completed projects I brought along to the Pleasanton Antique Show on Sunday.  It was a little cool and windy when I arrived at 3:30am to start setting up, but it turned out to be a perfect day once the sun and shoppers came out later in the morning.  I was working solo again and didn't have a chance to get out to explore, but my garage thanked me for not returning home with more than I started with.

This is the metal cabinet I bought at a parking lot sale a few weeks ago; it was one of the first things that sold.  I gave it a quick face lift by adding some numbers I cut out with my Silhouette.  The typewriter had been living with me for the last few years, but I decided to pass it along to someone else when I bought another one at the same parking lot sale.  It found a happy new home too.

This is one of several old clipboard displays I made with pages from some antique fashion magazines and matte Mod Podge.  I think they're better suited for larger and bolder necklaces like this one made from a faucet handle.  The black and white images are a little distracting and some of my lighter necklaces were getting lost.

More recent yard sales finds.  The shelf got a coat of Duck Egg Chalk Paint and a single row of rhinestones along the rim of the top shelf.  Doesn't every shelf deserve rhinestones?  I covered the little can with a image from The Graphics Fairy and the rusty lid got a few rhinestones too.  The hole was already in the top, so it makes a perfect twine dispenser.

Nesting shells.
 I made up some more jeweled abalone shells from the stash I found at a sale last month.

This one has to be the smallest abalone shell I've ever seen.

The ring gives you an idea of just how tiny it is.

Baby is still with me; the other two found new homes.

I'm partying with:
Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays
Knick of Time for Knick of Time Tuesday
Ivy and Elephants for What's It Wednesday
The Vintage Farmhouse for Creative Things Thursday


Pin It

38 comments:

The Vintage Farmhouse said...

The abalone shells are so pretty all blinged up!

Thrifty Vintage Peach said...

I just love these so much.. I hope to get into the antiquin business soon.. Maybe you could give me a few pointers on your pricing methods when you use your junk jewelry in projects. <3

Jamie

Stampin D Amour said...

Betsy - FAB adorned abalone shells! Love Duck Egg Chalk Paint, you've just reminded me that it's time to buy more! xo

-pamela ;)

Maureen said...

Wow Betsy, those shells are exquisite! And those other items are wonderful too; love the clipboard and necklace.

Michelle L. said...

3:30? Arrrgh. You are a better man than I.

Ohhhhh, heavens, the nesting shells are so beautiful! And as always, i squeak with each new photo as I scroll through your posts. The numbers one the cabinet - so simply perfect! The clipboard - wonderful. Yay, another lovely batch of ideas from my favorite re-inventer.

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

Wow...the abalone shells are gorgeous!!! I can certainly understand why they sold! The clipboard display is an awesome idea and the metal cabinet turned out great! Congrats on a successful show!

Peggy said...

Everything turned out wonderful. What a beautiful way to enhance those shells and give them a new purpose. You certainly inspire!

Anne said...

Betsy,
LOVE that numbered cabinet.I am not surprised that went so fast.Those blingy shells are pretty too.
((((Hugs)))
Anne

Goldie said...

I cant even express how fabulous you happen to be :)

Wax Beach Artist said...

Beautiful, beautiful treasures! I love the shell art, so pretty!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Love the shells! I almost bought some to bling up a bit not long ago, but figured it would end up another "project on the back burner".
3:30 am !?!? I would not be able to function at that time. :-D

Kathy said...

You are SO creative. Love your re-use and re-purpose ideas. Those abalone shells are gorgeous. Well done!

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

OH I am dying here -- that shelf with the row of bling and those shells -- stunning!!!

Maggie said...

man, you're GOOD!! and so, so clever. You are a master at revamping! Are you kidding me with those shells?---they are beautiful.

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Oh, that was sooo fun, I love seeeing what people are selling. The metal cabinet, of course sold right away and I love the twine holder. Now, those shells are beyond gorgeous! I have only done one sale and I loved that the things I like to make sold so well compared to in the antiques booth. I think you are right about the folding screen I could try taking one or two pieces out and fitting it in my booth

Carol

andrea@townandprairie said...

Wow, I love that cabinet. I would have been tempted to keep it!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Those shells are gorgeous! You need to make some more of those! WOW!

Laurel@chippingwithcharm said...

So many pretty things!! I love that metal cabinet...and those clipboard jewelry dispays are genius :) Hope you sold lots!! Laurel

Connie Mercer said...

Betsy~awesome goodies girl, loved, loved the metal cabinet~what a find!!!!

DallyGirl said...

You have such an incredible talent! I love how you take ordinary things and make them marvelous!!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

No wonder you sold so well. The jewel shells are gorgeous.

A Shabby Moment in Time said...

Love those embellished shells...but I have to say...that metal cabinet with the numbers stole my heart. Wish I could have been at your sale~
Blessings & hugs,
Karen

Brandy said...

Your clipboard is adorable. New follower via WOW.

Karen said...

All of your pieces are gorgeous. I love the necklace made from a faucet and those jeweled shells...divine!

Tracy W said...

So pretty and really amazing. I absolutely am in love with these "blinged" out shells.

outjunking said...

Those shell are wonderful not to mention the clip board. So much talent here.

must love junk said...

Thank you so much for visiting my blog (and becoming a follower!) I'm now your newest follower! I love your jewelry and that metal cabinet should have been mine :)
Susan

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

Ohhh, when I saw your photo I was thinking, I don't remember seeing the cabinet with the numbers?!?!? It must have sold before I got there!!!

It was great seeing you, Betsy!!!

xoxo

Lorrie said...

Beautiful, everything is very unique and wonderful! Congrats on a successful sale!

Addicted2HomeDecor said...

Just found you at the "Wow Us Wednesdays" party! You have a beautiful blog, it's so nice to meet others that enjoy the same passion. Would love to have you stop by sometime. ~ Judy (I'm now a follower on everything and "liked" your fan page as well) :)

Diane Writes said...

Oh wow! wow! wow! Betsy!! I enjoyed everything in this post. I almost wanted to touch and feel everything.

Rae said...

LOVE it all!

Rae said...

LOVE it all!

Kathryn said...

Hi Betsy! I'm in lust over those shells! I even put a link to your post on my blog!
Are you going to be at the Alameda Antiques Faire this Sunday?? I'm going and would love to see your treasures in person, as well a meet you!
Hugs!
kat
kathryn-papermatters.blogspot.com

A Cottage Muse said...

Loving all your creations...I think the clipboard is so cute!

Annmarie Pipa said...

wow...you made out!!!! How come I never ever see anything like this at the yard sales I go to?!

Faire Notions said...

Yeah I would have grabbed the drawers too. Love what you did with the shells!
Lisa

Barbara Jean said...

LOVE the clipboard!


blessings
barb