Friday, April 20, 2012

My Birdhouse Corner....Revisited

It's been a busy few days around here with last minute preparations for the Mes Amis Antique Show tomorrow.  Mes Amis was just voted one of the best vintage sales in the country by the loyal readers of Flea Market Style Magazine.  If you're in the area, you'd love this show and I'd love to see you!!

My archives have volunteered to do a guest post today.  It's hard to believe that it's been an entire year since I first shared my little birdhouse corner.  They made it through another winter and they're still hanging in there.  Enjoy:-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

These little birdhouses are nestled behind a large tree in a corner of my back yard.  They were scattered around in different parts of the yard for several years until a few of them fell down during a recent wind storm.  They look so much better since I relocated them to this new neighborhood.


I used to make and sell these little houses by the dozens. Every couple of months, my garage would be transformed into a birdhouse factory full of old wood, molding, roofing material, keys, bits and pieces of hardware, and whatever else I thought would make a fancy perch. I loved making these little houses, but stuck to making just the facades because they didn't require master carpentry skills. I closed the old birdhouse factory down about ten years ago because it was time to move on to something else.  I'm amazed at how well these held up, probably because all the wood and accessories were already chippy and rusty when I built them.  It's funny, but some of the same things I used to decorate these houses with, I now use in my jewelry.

I had to convince myself that the doorknob plate needed to stay on this house.  I was so tempted to make a necklace with it.

The perch is a chippy pink cup holder from a bathroom set.  Looks like something fell off the front, and I think it needs a little flower pot in that cup holder.

#39 always looked like this with its chippy paint.  I remember giving this one several coats of sealer.

Birdie treadmill?

I think this one needs some bird seed.

Sometimes I miss the birdhouse factory, but I never miss the sawdust.


15 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Enjoy the Antique Show!! Love these bird houses! Hugs, Linda

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Hope you sell all your inventory! :-D
Wish I could be there - sounds like a good one.

Mary Palumbo Collings said...

Love the birdhouses,,,, lovely blog, glad to have found you.
Ciao,
Mary

Karen Bates said...

OMGosh, those are just too cute! Love the treadmill...I can just see the birdie flipping backward as he lands...lol. Sorry.

I just found one of those galvanized feeders and used it for my girls corn snacks, in the chicken run. Now that use is just too much cuter!

Have fun at the show..wish I was there!

Kelly_Deal said...

How cute! I love every, single one of them!

outjunking said...

what a nice touch of whimsy.

Connie Mercer said...

darling~

Kathy said...

Love, love that birdie treadmill! Good luck with your sale, wish I could be there.

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

I just love your birdhouses! You should bring some with you to the show!

I went to the barn sale today!!!

C U tomorrow! I'm going early and getting home early, it's going to be a HOT one!!!

xoxo

EllenaElizabeth said...

Love your bird houses. I have some made from recycled buys and pieces. They are my favourites.

Diane Writes said...

Hi Betsy! I didn't know that you make these cute bird houses. Their new home or location is way better. They complement the wooden fence where they are attached. I love it!

Anne said...

Betsy,
Those are so cute.I love that they are made from recycled scraps.
Anne

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

I remember your birdhouse post last year. It's so much fun to revisit such creativity!!! Thanks for a re-look!!! It made me smile!

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

LOVE, love, love your charming birdhouses! Hope the sale went well!

Decor & Harmony said...

Cute and unique I just love birdhouses.......thanks for sharing!