Saturday, March 24, 2012

A New Life for an Old Thermos


Burlap, lace, twine, a flower rhinestone brooch, and an old industrial strength 
Stanley thermos.

Much better and so simple!
I can imagine this once loved thermos being filled with coffee every morning and carried off to work.  All the dents, faded paint, and scratches indicate a hard life; now it's time to enjoy retirement.  

Unfortunately the cup was cracked in half, but I couldn't let the stopper go to waste.

I bent some heavy wire around a dowel and around the base of the stopper.  The plastic was discolored and really ugly, so I wrapped it with twine and topped it off with a vintage rhinestone button.

I gave this old jar a quick face lift while I had the burlap and lace out.  

A vintage glass knob makes a perfect handle for the clock face lid; so simple because it already had a hole in the center.  A piece of twine glued around the edge on the back keeps the lid from slipping off the jar.

I wish I could say these tulips came from my garden.

No sew simple.  I love Stitch Witchery.
This stuff works like magic on burlap...no more raveled edges and just about invisible through the open weave.  You can buy it complete with simple instructions at any fabric store, either by the yard or in packaged strips. The roll of burlap came with the hemmed edge.

I cut a piece of Stitch Witchery a little narrower than the lace (you don't want it touching your iron), then I ironed it between the lace and burlap.  A small 1" piece cut the same width as the burlap holds the edge firmly in place.  

I think they look happy together!

~ ~ ~ My Spring Giveaway is still open until 6:00pm PST on Tuesday, March 27.  Just click on the button on the top of my sidebar to enter:-) ~ ~ ~

Pin It



Check out all the action at these parties:
Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special
Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
 Homemaker on a Dime for Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop
My 1929 Charmer for Sunday's Best
Knick of Time Interiors for Knick of Time Tuesday
Bringing Beauty for Beautify It Monday



34 comments:

  1. Totally fabulous ideas!! I adore these.

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you just love making these...they go so fast! I love the bling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how you repurposed the thermos. What a cute idea!
    ~Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh so cute! I really love that thermos! I never would have thought of that. I just love how you think!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cute is this! Love them both...especially the lace, it softens the roughness of the burlap to give it that perfect look! Thanks for sharing! Have a beautiful weekend! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous, Betsy!!!! I've said it so many times, I sound like a broken record, but you are so creative!!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love burlap.Especially when it is paired with lace.They all look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my goodness, what an imagination. It is fabulous. I adore the stopper...

    ReplyDelete
  9. they do look happy together~I knew you wouldn't disappoint me!!!love the clock face idea used as a lid!!! Clever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What an awesome idea! I LOVE it!
    So simple, yet makes a big statement. Thanks for sharing!
    Have a wonderful weekend!!

    sandraallen260@centurytel.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. More cute ideas! Really like the "touches" of bling.
    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are soooo clever. I'm just amazed at how you blinged up the cap to the thermos!!! I love the clock face/lid, too. I have an old tilted canister that needs a vintage-looking lid...you've given me a great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your burlap and bling creations. Pinned it also. Thanx for stopping by my blog and commenting on my yard long pansy picture. Tiff

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it!!
    I would never have thought of that!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My favorite is the old thermos. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Betsy! We had a lot of thermos at home and most of the time, we just throw them away whenever they become defective already. You gave me a good idea. Your creativity and imagination never fails to give me the best surprises.

    Have a great weekend Betsy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Never thought a thermos could look so good. I so love what you did to the stopper - yes a show stopper! Also love the clock face. Great inspiration at work. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So pretty and extra clever too! xo P.S. I wish I had an overlock machine I'm afraid to use burlap in my regular sewing machine :-(

    ReplyDelete
  19. Incredible Betsy, now that's creative. I love how you place the twine around your project. I just love the look of burlap and twine I guess it's the textured look.
    Hugs Rosemary...xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such great projects...and the stopper is so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Stitch Witchery rules! You have such a talent at turning ordinary vintage finds into something special. Love these.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so creative - you really gave everything new life! We'd love for you to share it (and anything else you'd like) at our Beautify It Monday Link party going on now at BringingBeauty.blogpsot.com!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh how creative and so very clever! That old thermos wrapped in burlap and lace with those gorgeous pink tulips is looking so pretty:)And I love that clock-glass knob lid... that is so clever and looks beautiful!I love burlap with lace and you did a wonderful job with them with the added bling:) Thanks for sharing the Stitch Witchery idea and for your sweet thought on my chalkboard tags. Happy week to you!~Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  24. Super cool! The thermos is such a clever idea. LOVE it! Thanks for sharing. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  25. So many pretty treasures!

    Mrs. Delightful
    www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. My Dad had a thermos just like that, he passed away 7 years ago. I miss him every day. Thanks for the sweet memory.

    ReplyDelete
  27. These items that you transformed are soooo cute. I really love the thermos vase. You are so clever!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  28. Betsy, fabulous, I can see the next hottest trend.... old thermos' No one uses a thermos any more, they will be truly extinct! So cute with burlap, I have got to get a roll of that! I missed your jewelry post...Betsy, that is gorgeous, the re-purposed jewelry is so cool!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  29. cute ideas girl!!

    blessings
    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting My Salvaged Treasures. Your comments inspire me.