Sunday, January 29, 2012

All Aboard! Rail Trip, Part 1

What an adventure it was!!  I'm still catching up with things here at home and trying to remember where I left off.  Why do vacations go by so fast?  The first two days really made us question our sanity for traveling to the Pacific Northwest in January, but overall it was a good choice and so much fun.

Klamath Falls, Oregon

This is the cute little sleeping room complete with a toilet/shower combo, sink, seating for five, table, closet, mirror, and storage.  The seats fold down for the bottom bed and the top bunk folds down from the ceiling.  We sure had some good laughs at the size of the room after the beds were folded out; it looked so much bigger on the Amtrak website.  I won't mention the sound of the flushing toilet.

 
I had no idea there was a movie car.  They weren't thrilled with my suggestion for a bowling alley, lap pool, spa, or gym car.    

One of the advantages of traveling during the off-season.  

Just when we thought train travel was the only way to go in weather like this, they made an announcement that Portland would be the end of the line.  A mud slide on the tracks somewhere between Portland and Seattle put a halt to all rail traffic in both directions.  Plan B was a 3 1/2 hour, dark, stormy, icy, white-knuckle bus ride to Seattle.  Our bus driver really deserved all the applause when we finally landed safely at the train station in Seattle.


The restaurant at The Edgewater where we were staying.





The deserted streets of Seattle the following morning.  They rarely get this much snow.

We weren't going to let a little snow keep us inside all day, so we bundled up and headed out on foot. 
Pike Place Market



Most of the snow had melted after the second day....another opportunity to walk around and do a little shopping.

I really had to talk myself out of this awesome watchmaker's cabinet.  I would have bought it in a heartbeat if I had an easy way to get it back home.








Watson Kennedy.....such a fun store!


Of course we had to make time for all the typical tourist destinations.
The ride to the top of the Space Needle where we ate lunch. 

Dan the Comedian, our tour guide for Underground Seattle

So many interesting pieces of history left underground.

Underground museum

What a stark difference between the old and new.  Part of the underground is directly below this gorgeous old building.
Love the sign!

I was a little disappointed that I didn't come home with a suitcase full of treasures; most of the pieces that really spoke to me were either too big or not for sale.  Too bad all the goodies in the underground or the museum weren't for sale.  I'm sure I'd be able to find a good place for the State Hotel sign. 

I'll be posting about our field trip to Victoria in Part 2.  I'm missing all the great food already.

23 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Sounds like you had a good time despite the snow. I would love to travel by train sometime.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Welcome back! Looks and sounds like you had a fun and adventurous trip. I do like the watchmaker's cabinet - would be great to hold jewelry supplies. :D Speaking of which, did you find some good old bling and found objects to make jewelry?
Looking forward to hearing more about your trip.

Full Circle Creations said...

Sounds like you had an interesting trip. I loved living in Seattle...but that seems like a lifetime ago. Glad you made it safely.

Holly

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

I was thinking of you last week when they were having all that snow!!!!! So glad to hear you had a wonderful time! Enjoyed looking at all your photos!! Ohhhh, I have a photo of my niece Sandy looking out over the side at the top of the space needle, I get vertigo just looking at the photo. I hugged the walls, LOL

Welcome home!!!

xoxo

Faire Notions said...

Sounds like it was a great trip. Though I'm not one for traveling in the snow. Can't wait to hear about Vancouver. Always wanted to do that trip. Thats the trouble with traveling and junkin'... you can't bring half the stuff you really want to buy. Lisa

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

I love the pictures of the inside of the train...So interesting!!!
I'm glad you had a good time in spite of the snow!

Jill said...

I haven't been on a train in a few years - I think I'd like to go again.....

outjunking said...

Thanks for taking us along and yes that watch makers cabinet had to be hard to leave behind.
Lisa

kpaints said...

Glad you had such a good time even with the bus and lousy weather. Looks like that didn't stop you at all....I'm glad Seattlites don't really get snow...I know I am one. However, I've been in snow country since the 60's...I am use to it.

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Oh what a fun post! I took the Amtrak last year on a 17 hour ride, my room was half the size of yours, but the food was great! Can't wait for part 2

Carol

Karla Medina said...

This is so awesome. Thanks so much for sharing. I'm hoping to go to Seattle for the first time later this year so this is perfect. I need to make notes so I know where to go :)

Diane Writes said...

Wow, what a great photo diary Betsy! The scenery covered with snow is one the best photos I've seen. I can't wait to see what you have shopped :)

Chelsea said...

So glad you got to the Fish Market at Pike's! It is my favorite, I love watching them throw the big fish! Looks like you had a fun trip, I can't wait to try out a rail trip myself, my boyfriend and I have really been talking about it lately!

SixBalloons said...

Oooh I think I would stared longingly at that watchmaker's cabinet too!

Kathy said...

How fun!! I love Seattle and haven't been there in several years. I keep telling my husband we should just take the train one of these day. From Portland to Seattle is just a little hop as long as you don't have to do it on a bus in the snow!

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

Wow! It sounds like it was such a fun trip, Betsy! Well...except for the cold weather. With your gift for finding treasure - and unbelievable bargains - I'm shocked that you DIDN'T come back with a suitcase full. ;)

Hugs,
Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage

Wanda @ Just Vintage said...

Looks like it was a fabulous trip! I see nothing wrong with a visit to the Pacific Northwest in January. We rarely see snow here. It would be a real treat. Combine that with a train ride = perfect. Sorry a mudslide cut that short for ya, but it sure provided a fun memory.

Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog about my pantry shelves, too. You're too kind.

Sue said...

Oh what a fun adventure! I haven't taken a train trip since I was a little girl. (many, many, decades ago) I think it could be fun to travel by rail out to CA to see our son. Maybe one day...
You got to see such fun shops. I would love to have some more of those glove molds. It is hard to see things you can't bring back home with you, isn't it? I guess that is why I always end up driving somewhere. :-)

Into Vintage said...

I was thinking about you all week while the crazy weather here raged on. So happy to hear you were able to have your adventure despite the snow! I was wondering how a toilet/shower combo works but then again maybe not... :-)

Looking forward to the rest of the story.

Loretta said...

You had a wonderful time...it shows!
How much did you really have to restrain yourself? lol Love it all!

Stephanie said...

What a great trip. I would love to take that trip. I've never been up to that area but your beautiful pictures have made me put it on the top of my list of places to visit.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Amazing photos! What an adventure and always fun to go somewhere that is famous for good food! ♥

Faire Notions said...

I loved Seattle. Went right after college in 1993 and I have been trying to get my husband to go back with me ever since. Thanks for sharing. Makes me want to go back more than ever now. Next time make sure you visit Mount Rainier, the Cascade Mountains and the Hoh Rainforest. They were beautiful.
Nicole