Monday, November 14, 2011

Antique German Sampler

My craft show didn't start until noon last weekend, so when it came down to sleeping in or getting out to a few yard sales, the sales won out.  I found this really interesting 15" x 18" sampler and even took the time to get some history on it from the owner.

She was a little confused on some of the details, but told me that it represented five generations of her friend's family from Germany.  Her friend was the daughter of the couple appearing on the top line (Pelma and Mantz), the names are difficult to read.  She actually brought out a portrait of her friend's mother and a plate with the portrait transferred on it.  No, she wasn't interested in selling the portrait or the plate; at least I tried.

Pardon the funny color of these pictures.  My light was getting bad inside and outside.  The sampler actually has more of a very light coffee colored background.  

I took it out of the frame so I could get some better pictures without my reflection.  I was going to take it out anyway just to get the money that was hidden inside (I wish).

The family crest.
It's such a shame that it has this stain right in the middle.





The fine detail of the stitching is gorgeous.


I'm going to put it back in its frame for now and just enjoy this beautiful work of art.

This cross stitch was waiting for me at another sale.  It's not as old or detailed, but a new mat and frame will give it some real charm.

I'm linking up my needlework finds with:

Charm Bracelet Diva for Club G.W.
Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday,
Knick of Time for Knick of Time Tuesday,
No Minimalist Here for Open House Party


21 comments:

kpaints said...

What a gorgeous sampler. The writing is fantastic. Lovely work...I bet that took forever. Too bad there is no one left in the family to keep it.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

The handwork is so pretty. Someone put a lot of work into those pieces, especially the first one. I would never have the patience.

Loretta said...

What beautiful stitching...you've found a true treasure! Love love them both...thanks for sharing! Hugs

Charm Bracelet Diva said...

The first one reminds me of some samplers my Mom made for my siblings' college graduations. I never got one because by the time I graduated they no longer made the "kit." I was heartbroken b/c it was gorgeous...yours is definitely something special! Party should be up tonight if our phone and internet service gets fixed! (I'm typing this on my husband's little lapbook...)

xoxo
Kathleen

xoxo
Kathleen

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

The German sampler is awesome. It's hard to believe that the lady would give it up...Lucky you!!!

Nelly said...

I couldnt have sold a family heirloom lie that but thats me a sentimental hoarding fool lol

Susan said...

Gorgeous! Oh, the detailed work that must have went into this. What a find!

Diane Writes said...

I love cross stitched and other embroidered crafts. Makes me imagine of the detailed and stitch by stitch effort to produce it.

Maggie said...

Thank you for introducing me to German Sampler.
Would luv for my readers to discover your blog, will you please join our weekly party at
http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/11/thanksgiving-showcase-tutorial-with.html
have a great crafting week!
Maggie
http://passionatelyartistic.com

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

Goodness! I just can't imagine parting with something so beautiful and so full of history! Their loss is definitely your gain! I wouldn't mind the stain -- it adds character and charm!

Tammy at Tammy Loves Dishes said...

The German sampler is absolutely stunning. What a super find.

Jane said...

That is an unbelievable garage sale find!! A very cool piece. Maybe I should get up earlier on Saturdays instead of sleeping in :)
Jane

Susanne said...

The detail is gorgeous! Glad you rescued it but kinda sad there was no one in that family to appreciate such a treasure.
Susanne.

Audrey said...

Such a delicate piece...glad you were able to rescue. I think the stain adds character.
Audrey

Betsy said...

What beautiful, detailed work! And it's nice that you were able to get some of the background. I can't imagine how long it must have taken to do this.

Angie said...

What a find! Glad you decided to go to the sales instead of sleeping in!

I hope you'll link this beauty up at Knick of Time Tuesday - the party is happening now!

http://knickoftimeinteriors.blogspot.com/2011/11/knick-of-time-tuesday-8-sheet-music.html

Blessings,
Angie @ Knick of Time Interiors

sweet violets said...

What a wonderful work of art the German piece is and how precious too!!! I would never part with that!!! Handwork like that is not appreciated here as it is in Europe.......you can work on the stains using Murphy's Oil Soap, it comes in a jar and is very gooey. Use just an itsy bitsy amt on the tip of a Q-tip and work it in gently, rinse with clear water dapped on with cotton balls and put a towel under the work to absorb the moisture. I have done this many times and it works beautifully, it even will remove paint stains on fabric. hugs...cleo

Stampin D Amour said...

Betsy - that detailed stitching is really amazing! Of course, I too, would chose the extra time to go junking, who needs sleep anyways? ;)

-pamela
mybooth96.blogspot.com

Kathy said...

WOW! That is just too beautiful! Love the detail! Great finds!
Kathy

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Betsy, This is one of the prettiest samplers I have ever seen. Gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing your new finds at the Open House party.
Hugs,
Sherry

Laurie said...

That sampler is amazing. I would have bought it in a heartbeat. I cannot believe she was selling it!!!!