Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Salvage Yard Fun

It was close to noon on Sunday when I felt the urge to get out and do some junkin'.  It was too late in the day for the monthly antique show in Alameda, so I decided to try my luck at the salvage yards in Berkeley.  With the promise of a good lunch, my son Scott seemed more than happy to tag along.  Just before we left, I thought I'd do a quick Craigslist check.  Sure enough, there was a Sunday only block sale that was advertising loads of vintage hardware and architectural pieces.  The salvage yard could wait until after lunch.  First stop was the block sale.

Someone else was busy going through the box of bathroom fixtures when I got there. I managed to pull these beauties out after he walked away. Thank you for leaving some for me!

I filled a big box full of architectural bits and pieces, wheels, rusty thingies, lamp parts, and the rusty old sconce that looks like a birdhouse.


Yes! They even left me some bling.

  This is enough to keep me busy for a long time.  Maybe it was a good thing we didn't get there when they first opened up.

First stop after lunch was Ohmega Salvage.  This is always a fun place, but I rarely buy anything because they're just too pricey.  
What a way to greet customers.  Look at those legs!


Rare French Guy from 1920.  $850.00.

Have you seen the September issue of Country Living?  This reminds me of the front cover.


I love this color, but not for my bathroom fixtures.  They also had sets in blue, peach, and yellow.  This lavender set could be yours for only $1800.00.

I like these.  I'm not sure why, but I really like them.

Next stop was Urban Ore.  This place is bigger and junkier than Ohmega, but much cheaper too.
When pigs fly?  You'd need a moving van just to get her home.

These were the only things I bought at Urban Ore, and one of the only places I can still find them at a reasonable price.

I'm so happy that I made this last minute decision to just drop what I was doing and go.  The weather was perfect with temperatures in the low 70's and overcast skies.  Best of all, we had a great time catching up with each other.

I'm linking up my Salvage Yard Fun with:
Charm Bracelet Diva for Club G.W.,
Very Merry Vintage Style for Share the Love Wednesday,
From My Front Porch to Yours for Treasure Hunt Thursday,
Brambleberry Cottage for Time Travel Thursday,
Colorado Lady for Vintage Thingie Thursday, and
Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday

32 comments:

Miss Kitty said...

I think that Mike and Frank on "Pickers" TV show would be proud of you. It even reminds me of some of the things they like to "pick" What great things you found! Funniest picture: "French Guy".

Michelle L. said...

Love the rare French guy! You found some great shtuff!

Goldie said...

OMG I love the bathroom fixtures! I cant wait to start on the remodel of my bathroom, but I feel as if those fixtures are just what I need for inspiration!

Diane Writes said...

Hello Betsy! I have to laugh with the reason why your son tagged along. I admit I was like that with my mom back when I was younger. She has to somehow bribe me to accompany her. hahaha And the legs of the mannequin, it was creepy. It almost looks so real. But overall you have fab finds, I am looking forward to your crafts.

Lucy - By the Hill said...

Wow! I wish I lived somewhere where there are so many great sales and neat salvage places!
Love your blog and all your neat finds! ...especially what you do with them!

kpaints said...

OMG You did get those faucet handles....I just saw that picture and went oh, no she didn't! Ha, what a fab find but of course, you know you were in my favorite places...all that salvage and rust...just to die for. Lucky you...anytime your son isn't up for it...call me!!!
I gotta' go lay down....

Betsy (BB) said...

These items are amazing! I love the faucet handles and key holes! Great place!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

You already know the bling would be my favorite. $850 for the French Guy - Think I will pass. :-D
Looking forwarded to seeing what you do with your treasures.
Glenda

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Love the bling and those bathroom fixtures! The 'rare french guy' is kinda creepy lol. I would love to visit some of those awesome places. Good finds.

Sassy Marsha said...

Oh, what a grand day!!!!! I am going to have to tag along with you someday on your treasure hunt!!!!

Just love all the RUST!!!!

xxoo
Marsha

Barbara Jean said...

Great finds Betsy!!

blessings
barbara jean

Charm Bracelet Diva said...

Okay, Betsy, I laughed SO HARD when I saw the French guy. You are too funny! They can keep him for $850 (although I'd love to meet his sister if her price was reasonable)! I would have been in heaven going to those places....thanks for linking up this week over at Club G.W. with Charm Bracelet Diva. I just love all the rust too!

xoxo
Kathleen

mo said...

Hi Betsy,

Thanks for swinging by. Yes, I finally bit the bullet and opened up a shop online.

It is not to make $$$. (except for a dollar or two.) But at least it is a collection of all my work in one place.

It is really fun making the products too. I do not have to worry about shipping or paypal or anything, they handle all that so it is perfect for me right now as I work full time.

I see you are getting quite the following as I knew you would.

I think those french legs are creepy...(you probably do too) *giggle*

I adore the knobs for the bathroom...I see alot of possibilities for those.

*hugs*

mo

Bohemian said...

What great scores you snagged!

And I'm swooning over those fab Vintage Salvage Mantles!!!!!!!!! You never find a selection grouped together like that here in AZ!!!

Dawn... The Bohemian

DearHelenHartman said...

French Guys were Rare in the 1920s, probably because they were so soft and easily lost their heads. But you're right, they did have good legs. All your finds have me so jealous I am kicking myself for not having found your blog sooner.

Kelly_Deal said...

You found some great stuff Betsy! I love those keyholes!
Kelly

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

I like all those rusty, crusty bits and pieces you found, Betsy. Can't wait to see how you transform them. ;)

Temps in the 70s??? Really? That's our usual nighttime temperature.

Hugs,
Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

A Cottage Muse said...

Wow...you did some great treasure hunting!

GardenofDaisies said...

Wow, what fabulous bit and pieces!! That pig is amazing!!

Pamela said...

Oh what fun that trip must have been! I would love to have places like that around here! Thanx for sharing for Treasure Hunt Thursday!

Tami said...

Oh wow, your treasures are so wonderful.

I'm visiting from The Brambleberry Cottage.

Enjoy the rest of your week,
Tami @ A Girls Gotta Nest

Linda Makiej said...

Terrific photos of your wonderful finds!

Sue said...

I love the tap handles, Betsy! Those were a great find, as were the keyhole plates. :-) I need to find a salvage yard somewhere! ~ Sue

Debra @ Common Ground said...

WOW, what an incredible bunch of great finds! thanks for sharing the fun! xoxo Debra

LV said...

You picked the right time and place to find all those vintage goodies.

Mom Walds Place said...

How nice of him to leave some for you. I especially like the one with the little arrow. Just think of the possibilities!

Theresa said...

That is my kind of shopping! I wish there were those kinds of treasure troves around here... t. xoxoxo

Kristal said...

If I promise to take you to lunch, can I come picking with you sometime?? LOL!! There is nothing like those kinds of places here in the Deep South. Or else I haven't found then yet. But I will keep looking.

You scored some great finds!

XoXo,
Kristal

Nook & Cranny said...

Love, love those lavatory handles. I would consider having those in my home.
Looks like you had a treasure filled day.
Thanks for sharing
Michele

ImSoVintage said...

WOW!!! great finds. That French guy was definitely too funny. I do love all the rusty bits and pieces. So happy to be a new follower through Vintage Inspiration Friday.
Laura

very merry vintage style said...

Great finds... some really interesting stuff! Thanks for linking to Share the Love Wednesday!
Mary

Essay Writing said...

I love your writer’s voice in this post.That is quiet an inspiring post!!!