Thursday, June 23, 2011

New Life for a Tired Old Camera

I spotted this vintage Brownie camera a few weeks ago at a church rummage sale.  Finally, my search was over; this was the one coming home with me.  It was dirt cheap because there was some thick grayish sticky substance all over the back side.  Hmm, almost like someone wanted to mount it to a wall.  This was another perfect candidate for repurposing.  

I started to dissect it by removing the tiny screws from the front plate.  The center lens and the two finder lenses (the eyes) popped right out.


The center lens was a perfect fit inside this old pocket watch case.  The clock is just a picture I cut out of a magazine and glued to the inside of the glass.  Of course, everything looks better surrounded by rhinestones.


 I glued vintage sheet music to the flat side of the eyes with white glue.  They look like little bubbles.

S & H Green Stamp  + side lens + vintage shoe clip = necklace.  I popped these lenses off by prying them up with a little screw driver.

I couldn't forget the Blue Chip Stamp.  I glued the stamp to the inside of the top lens and then attached it to the antiqued filigree using E6000 glue.  A rhinestone bead and a couple of glass beads add some extra sparkle.

Like most of us, we were a Brownie camera family when I was growing up.  I'll never forget the time my younger brother pushed me in the lake as I was trying to take a picture with our new Brownie.  His excuse: "I wanted to see how big the splash would be."  So much for the vacation photos, and no one remembers if the camera ever worked again. We were also a Blue Chip Stamp family.  Those trips to the redemption store were always such a treat.  This is why cameras and trading stamps go together!! 

To see older posts of my repurposed vintage camera projects, click here and here.

I'm linking up my repurposed Brownie camera with:
Brambleberry Cottage for Time Travel Thursday,
My Repurposed Life for Catch as Catch Can,
Chic on a Shoestring Decorating for Flaunt it Friday,
Dittle Dattle for Amaze Me Monday,
 Very Merry Vintage Style for Share the Love Wednesday, and
Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday

31 comments:

  1. I love how you've used the parts of the old Brownie. I would have never thought to use the S&H Green Stamp and I've never even heard of Blue Chip stamps! You're a salvage genius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it all, especially the watch pendant! Stop by and link up if you have time.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I'm so jealous of your creativity! All fabulous pieces.

    xoxo
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such creative uses for an old camera. Love the earrings! The Green Stamps make me smile...gosh I loved saving those and getting something 'free'! hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. You so creative..who else would think to use camera parts? Love it...they are all so pretty...S @ H here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such wonderful ideas I never thought of....... S & H, and the little coupon books =)
    MaryAnn

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of your jewelry is simply fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it all! You have some great ideas. We had a Brownie box camera when growing up also. He pushed you in the lake ?!? I saved the S&H stamps and it would take me forever to decide what to get with them.
    This may be a dup. comment - I am having a time lately trying to leave comments.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I came over because I saw the camera, I've become follower 438 because I love the jewelry I see.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are amazing! Love these pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely FABULOUS!!!!! I ♥ it ALL!!!!

    You are so talented and uber creative, Betsy!

    xxoo
    Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Betsy,
    I love the way you re-cycle!! I would have never thought to take a camera apart and you did so beautifully!! The results are amazing! Thanks once again for all of your very generous advice in the past I do appreciate it!!

    My best regards,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Betsy,
    You've done it again; inspired me to be more creative. So glad you don't charge for it. Love your ideas for using camera parts to repurpose jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it all! We were the S&H Green Stamp family! My grandmothers would give us some of their stamps, too. It was so much fun. I remember getting the most beautiful baby doll for one of my birthdays with the books I helped my mammaw fill up. I thought I was just filling up her books for her! What a great memory! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful camera and the jewelry is gorgeous! sorry I had to comment as anonymous, blogger wouldn't let me post comments. Have a great day!
    Ido @ ARCE French of Heart

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are so smart with your creations xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooohaaaah. In awe down here, as usual. Everything is so beauteous and perfectly evocative of the vintage materials. I just came into a trove of WWII ration stamps and I wanted to do something like this. Yours are so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How creative! And everything looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like we have the same brother!! What a great re-purpose, I have not seen green stamps for 100 years, I remember my Grandma use to collect them! You are so right about the young people buying jewelry, that is probably their biggest purchase besides vinyl records

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! I love what you did with the camera pieces! I've got a couple waiting for a project, but had thought maybe a diorama or something. Taking them apart never occurred to me. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such creativity. Your jewelry is so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Again, I am amazed with your creativity and the truly beautiful pieces you produce. My favorite is the Blue Chip necklace, but they are all wonderful. Thanks for sharing; I really enjoy seeing your salvaged treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such beautiful creations as always, Betsy.
    Hope you had a wonderful weekend...
    Glad to be able to see what you have been up too. Life gets busy sometimes...so sorry for the absence.
    smiles...Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  24. love these pieces. You have such great talent for repurposing anything.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! Your pieces are fabulous!

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have always loved how you use old camera parts for jewelry. I'm always scrolling back and forth to look at the camera to see what part it is you used for the jewelry. Repurposing at it's best!!!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  27. wow, that is so neat. i love all the jewelry you've made!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks so much for linking to Share the Love Wednesday; hope you'll be back this week!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  29. Super cute! I love those music earrings, they look like something that my sister would wear.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I found some S&H green stamps a while ago and was so excited, they brought back the best memories! I have been saving them for a special project you have inspired me to get busy! t. xxoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting My Salvaged Treasures. Your comments inspire me.