Saturday, May 21, 2011

Tiny Bottles

I have an obsession with bottles these days.  Fancy crystal bottles, colored bottles, medicine bottles, milk bottles, perfume bottles, even spice bottles.  I'd buy one here and one there, and before I knew it....a collection was born.  It's time to start moving them out, so I've been decorating some of the smaller bottles. 

Ros-es sweet.  The words are from the framed vintage sheet music that's standing behind the bottle. 

I used to have about two dozen of these little bottles.  They're big enough to fill with little trinkets, but small enough to wear as a necklace.  I filled the first one with little watch parts, the second with "we'd meet by the roses" sheet music that's held in place by mother of pearl buttons, and the third one contains tiny sea shells.  Instead of using the rubber tops that came with the bottles, I wanted to do something different with the few I had left.  I used E6000 to glue the buttons on upside down.  The brass chain slipped right through the button shank, but I had to add a jump ring for the ball chain because it was too thick.

I bought a set of twelve old spice bottles at a yard sale for just $2.00.  After I removed the labels and washed out the stinky old spices, I refilled this one with little sea shells.  This bottle was an early birthday gift for my good friend Marie.  I attached the quote for June Sixteenth with Mod Podge, then applied a thin line of Diamond Glaze around the edges before sprinkling on the glitter.  Barbara Jean at Treasures from the Heart has a great tutorial on decorating bottles.

June Sixteenth came from this vintageVolland Book Calendar.  I've had this for the longest time, but inspiration didn't hit until I bought all the spice bottles.  I have a few more "special to me" days set aside so I can make up some more bottles.  Volland & Company published a series of calendars like this one back in the early 1920's.  Each calendar came:  Silk cord and tassel tied.  Boxed.  Price 50 cents net.  Mine didn't have the cord or box, but all 365 days were accounted for.

The "FROM ME TO YOU" calendar advertises the universal theme of friendship, a compilation, by Edwin Osgood Grover, of friendly thoughts from the writings of the best authors. 

 I would love to share the rest of this calendar with my creative blogging friends.  Is there a day that's special to you?  Birthdays, weddings, graduations, just because days?  I'm sure you could all come up with some creative uses for these timeless friendship thoughts. 

Please send me a separate email (Contact Me link is just below my profile on the sidebar) with the dates you're interested in.  I'll be happy to cut out and send you up to eight special dates.

I'm linking up my tiny bottles with:

Boogieboard Cottage
 
Keeping It Simple
 
UndertheTableandDreaming







24 comments:

  1. Those little bottles are just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! I like your idea of using a button for a top. I had 11 or 12 bottles on the bathroom vanity, and boxed them up a couple weeks ago. Originally planned to add touches of bling to all of them. Got one done and just never got around to doing any more.
    Hope you are enjoying your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've said it before, Betsy, you ARE so creative! And what a special gift!!

    I finally scored an old window!!! Whoo-hoo!!!!

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely, you get so much done! And wonderful ideas! I use to collect bottles a bit too. Not so much anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Betsy, rather than cut them up to share individually, why not scan them to share with everyone? (unless there is a copyright problem?) Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great idea and I did think about that, but my scanner has been giving me problems for over a month now. I don't believe it would be a copyright problem because they are about ninety years old.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your bottles and what a great use for the calendar!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love your decorated bottles! i have a few tiny and not-so-tiny bottles i have been meaning to do something with. now i have some inspiration, thanks!! joanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice to meet you.. i an new here and love your blog. These bottles are inspirational... i have to make a few for friends!! LOVE the seashells in the bottle especially =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so cute!! Great idea with the calender..what a find!
    Have a great weekend!
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your version of decorated bottles! They are so small but they left me wonders. I can't help but look closely at the cute details.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful treasures as always. I really like the little bottle pendants, and what a great idea to use a shank button for the bottle top, that really was smart! Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely handiwork, it is so nice to look at and admire:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are darling! I've done a few versions my self. They're so much fun aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love your little bottles. I love using them for little buds and such. The sheet music is such a nice touch! Coming over from Under the Table and Dreaming, and a happy new follower!

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  15. The bottles are all so very pretty, but I absolutely love the upside down buttons! What a fun use for both the tiny bottles and the buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Betsy! There you go again. Those upside down button lids are pretty much the sweetest thing I've ever seen. Loooooooooove the pendants! Also, using rolled sheet music in the neck of the rose bottle is such a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OOOOOHHHH! Those tiny bottles are adorable!! I love what you did with all of these! I'm sure your being swamped with requests for dates from that amazing calendar but I'm going to give it a shot anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great idea it was to thin of the upside down buttons! I love your collection and thank you for sharing it on MM, Mary :O)

    ReplyDelete
  19. New to your blog, immediate new follower. I also have tons of bottles of all sizes (from old mason jars to antigue specimen bottles) and absolutely inspired by your creativity! And you are just so kind to share such beautiful paper ephemera. I'll be shooting you an email for a few dates if you have them available. Thanks much! Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ok. Now why didn't I see this before I went out to the sales today???

    I passed up a cute little teeny tiny bottle that would have made an awesome necklace pendant.....

    grrrrr...........

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such creative ideas for decorating the bottles, Betsy! And I think it's so sweet that you're willing to share your vintage calendar.

    Blessings,
    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting My Salvaged Treasures. Your comments inspire me.