Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Memorial Day Ceremony

I hope everyone had a wonderful Memorial Day.  I really wanted to get these pictures posted yesterday, but with all that was going on throughout the day, I just never found the time.

We spent our morning at the Tracy Cemetery for the annual Memorial Day ceremony.  Hundreds of people came out to honor those who gave their lives for our freedom.  Apparently, this Memorial Day ceremony drew one of the largest crowds in its 92-year history.  Bravo!  It was a beautiful ceremony and I knew I wouldn't get through it without my tissue. 

Our flag was proudly flying high with the help of the fire department.

Over 1500 American flags were placed at the graves of our veterans.  I wish I had a picture of the Little Arlington section.

Mr. MST was one of the seven who gave the three volley rifle salute.  It was hard to get a decent picture through the crowd.

Three of our military moms (and one very proud military niece) are holding the wreath we placed as a group in honor of all those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

I've been a member of Tracy Military Moms since my oldest son, Neil, began serving in the California National Guard over two years ago. We're able to send out hundreds of care packages to our overseas troops with the help of donations from businesses, individuals, service organizations, and fundraisers.

Thank you to all who served so selflessly and to those who continue to serve.  Words can't begin to express my gratitude.

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful day, Betsy!!!

    I too come from a family who have served in the military. In fact, one of my nephews met his wife during the Gulf War. She was also in the military and their son is now in the Air Force :)

    xxoo
    Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear so many attended. I have to go armed with tissue to events like that also. So sad that so many of the younger generation have no clue why we celebrate the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful images, and a wonderful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's wonderful that your town does this. Our town has tried to do a few things, but they're as bad at promotion as I am and have had poor turn-outs.

    Took a quick peek at the last couple of posts I've missed. Love the idea of the blackboard and cork in the mirror frame!

    And I have some envy going on on the little desk you found. That's just what I'm going to need in my new craft room - when and if it ever gets finished.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For those of us who were taught the TRUE meaning behind Memorial Day, it's always a very touching experience to see our flag waving in the breeze over the graves of those who sacrificed all for our freedom!

    God bless your son and all who have served and continue to do so!

    Hugs,
    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting My Salvaged Treasures. Your comments inspire me.