The antique mirror frame had been sitting out in my garage since last October. I'm so bad.
This is it...goldness and all. The thick mirrors were just too heavy for the lightweight frame and the center mirror was falling out because of the rot. Once upon a time there was a decorative piece of carved wood attached to the top center.
This is why it sat idle for so long. When I hit a roadblock with a project, I tend to move along to something else. You know...instant gratification. Part of the frame was rotted out and needed repair. I removed the rotted part and filled it with Plastic Wood. It still needed some more support, so I cut out one T-shaped piece of sheet metal and two L-shapes. I glued on the L-shapes and screwed in the T-shape. Perfect!
I painted the frame with two coats of antique white latex paint. Then I applied one coat of antique pine Flag brand classic wax; I've had this can for so many years and can't remember where I bought it. The wax had a real creamy consistency, so it went on easily with a brush and didn't get stuck in the carved areas.
I had a huge corkboard ($2.00 yard sale find) and cut two pieces slightly smaller than the openings. I used a spray adhesive to apply the burlap. The chalkboard insert was already finished because I cut and painted it along with a few others last fall. I was on a roll to finish this project and that's why I didn't get many pictures along the way.
These little projects were from a Granny Sale a couple of weeks ago. I painted and waxed the corbels and candlesticks, and placed a vintage postcard in that piece from an old cash register. Yeah, that was real hard to do:-)
Brown paper hides a multitude of sins. Trust me, you don't want to see the mess behind it.
I'm linking up with these fun parties: