Thursday, April 14, 2011

Saturday's Flea Market Experience

Last Saturday was a beautiful day, perfect for a trip to a college flea market.  With my shopping cart in tow,  I immediately headed to the first interesting looking booth.  I stopped, parked my cart, and began to take a closer look at the junk on the table.  The table was in the shade, so I took off my sunglasses to get a better look.  I placed my sunglasses in the canvas bag attached to the cart.  That's when this got ugly.

I'm standing there minding my own business when all of a sudden the crusty old dealer runs over to me screaming at the top of his lungs and pointing his finger in my face.  Must be a case of mistaken identity, right?  As his morning breath is socking me right in the face, he's pointing to my bag and hollering "I saw you, I saw you put something in your bag."  I pulled out my sunglasses and tried to explain what I had put in my bag.  He wasn't interested in anything I had to say and just got louder and louder with each accusation.  Could a crowd be forming?  Where was the nearest hole for me to crawl in?  Do I just walk away?  Do I keep showing him my sunglasses he obviously wasn't interested in?  Dump out the contents of my bag?  So many things going on in my head.  He actually ended this entire ordeal by ordering me to leave and never come back. 

Who could be prepared for something like this?  I was so stunned by what had just happened and I just didn't know what to do.  This guy was out of control and I just needed to get away from the situation.  As I walked away, I couldn't help but mumble a few words expletives under my breath.  Someone actually came up to me and told me that he's always like this.  Unbelievable that he can still be in business.  Maybe this guy had been ripped off too many times, but he was completely out of line.  I tow around a cart with a pink floral liner that my mom made for me; I guess that makes me a high risk security threat. 

Anyway, I had more important things to do.....shop!  I only spent a little over an hour out there and this is what I found and paid for...

 
I love old advertising hangers and now wish I had bought more.  When I spotted this little metal box under a table, I got so excited to see that the little drawers were full.

The four adjustable drawers were full of old buttons, needles, spools, and ribbon. 

I'm loving these rusty little flowers on this three foot high pyramid thingy.  I haven't decided yet if I want to keep it or sell it.  Right now it's in the house and starting to grow on me.

Maybe I can pick up some good photography tips in this 1952 book, How to Make Good Pictures.  The 1911 French book, Fluette, has a beautiful embossed cover. 

Spenser's Faery Queene has some faded writing on the cover page. 
I can't read most of it, but you can see the May 26, 1882 date.


Of course I had to buy my usual assortment of jewelry for repurposing.  Those glass beads on the top right side of the picture are new.  Seven strands in various colors for $8. 

Even though Mr. Crusty got my day off to a bad start, it turned out good in the end.  I was able to visit with some friends at the flea market, found some good treasures, and had a great dinner that evening.

I'm so excited about the antique show I'm participating in on Sunday.  Earlier this week I was a little concerned about the weather forecast, but now it's looking like it will be a beautiful day.  If you're in the area, The Roseville Spring Antique Market is a great way to spend the day. 


I'm linking up my flea market finds at:
Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday, and
                                                 The Thrify Groove for Thrifty Things Friday.

30 comments:

  1. What a shame that Mr. Crusty had to ruin your day! That's embarrassing! But I can almost bet if he keeps it up, he'll be out of business soon.
    I love the little drawers and books. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I'm sorry to hear you had to put up with "Mr. Cranky". Gosh, some people! :S
    I'm glad you at least managed to find some goodies. I absolutely love all those jewelry. The beads are really beautiful.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a rotten start to your day...hard to believe he stays in business! Glad you finished the day off gloriously! Great finds, wish I could at least be at your coming sale...please do pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Egaads, what a nasty man . . . . I am so glad though that you did not let him spoil your day and you came home with a treasure trove!!!!!

    See you Sunday!!

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, of all the nerve! That makes me mad just reading it. I'd have dumped everything - EVERYTHING - on the ground. I'd probably then have turned my pockets inside out. Grrrrr..

    But.... I LOVE everything you found!! I'm sure I'd have bought every single thing you bought, too. I'm especially in love with the little box and the pyramid thingy. I really think you should keep it all. You might regret it if you let them go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry you had to go throught this. Some people just don´t know how to behave.
    Love your finds. The books are awesome and the little box with the drawers. What a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He sounds like a "case and a half". Sorry he chose to lash out at you. Does sound like you ended your day on a good note tho. I don't have to tell you my favorite of your purchases for the day.;D Would love to be at the antique market, but it is a bit to far away. Hope you have a successful day there.
    Enjoy your evening.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a horrible old man!!! I think the junkin' gods made it up to you by letting you find all that good stuff! I love the little drawers and the sewing goodies inside! And those wooden hangers!!! Wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry you had to go through that experience! At least you found some really great little treasures. Can't wait to see what you create with them.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your finds ~ sounds like you didn't let Mr. Crusty ruin the trip!
    :)Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the metal box with all the sewing goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my....so sorry to hear about your horrible encounter with mr. major unhappy! wow...what a -------! i would have been terrified. so happy you were able to atleast find some treasures before he ran you off! the nerve!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, nice finds. I love flea markets and antique stores so much.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Alright.

    First that barn sale and now this.

    I for sure am coming to live with you.

    You find the coolest stuff, and if I could just get some of the crumbs.....

    And speaking of crumbs. What a nasty old fart.

    I could come along to the flea markets as your security! I may be small, but I'm pretty wiry. And I've got some decent guns (the muscle kind, not the bang-bang kind...) if I do say so myself.

    I could "help" you shop as well.

    OK?

    Good luck on your show!!! Oh, if I only lived closer........................

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello ~ I just came over from Welcome Wagon Friday and I can just say WELCOME~! I love your blog. I am your newest follower and I look forward to more ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You just never who you're going to run in to at these things.Every time I think I've seen all there is someone proves me wrong!Ah well, you sure lucked out in the junque arena anyway.Enjoy your finds!Keep smiling even when they yell...

    ReplyDelete
  17. OK, crazy guy! I love boxes filled sewing goodies! Good luck at your antique market!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Betsy, what a terrible situation. When something like this happens it just wipes me out. Glad you recovered and had a great day. Love that little cabinet with the drawers full of goodies. Thanks for linking up with VIF,
    hugs,
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so sorry you had to experience that, Betsy...you must have felt like you were in the Twilight Zone or something! I'm so glad you were able to salvage the day and make some good finds! You'll have a story to tell...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my Goodness...what a way to start out your day! I would have wanted to go back and give the Fuddy Duddy a piece of my mind after the shock of the whole thing wore off! So glad you were able to salvage your day!

    I love your pieces too! I need to start thinking more outside the box on my jewelry pieces. Your so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Excellent finds - we are jealous! These girls are hankerin' for a great flea.....!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well, I am glad you survived the Rude Mr. Crusty, I think some people are just Always Rude & therefore, Should NOT be dealing with the public... The Treasures You did get are Fabulous, I Am In Love with that little chest Filled with More Treasures ~ The Vintage Fairies were looking out for You!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey Betsy!! You won my give away!! Congratulations!!! Please email me your full name and address, so I can mail you your goodies!!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just found your blog thanks to Vintage Inspiration Friday and I am a new follower - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. OMGosh Betsy, if I would have been there I would have kicked him in his crusties! How dare he talk to you like that. Honestly, I have NO idea what I would have done if it had happened to me. Some things you're just not prepared for.
    I'm so glad you were able to "keep calm and carry on". You would have missed out on all those finds if you would have let old poopy face get the best of you.

    Have a wonderful show on Sunday,
    Irma

    ReplyDelete
  26. I would have been stunned as well if some lunatic started pointing a finger at me and accusing me of stealing! What a way to start out your thrifting adventure! At least you found some great things. That little metal box with all the old sewing items is fantastic! What a score with that! Thank you for joining TTF! I hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Bless you Betsy.

    My gosh, you handled that well dear.

    I would have lost it.

    I do not know what has happened to people of late, but yes, they are miserable with themselves and those around them.

    Sad.

    You made me laugh when you said you were a high security threat!

    This story is a classic.

    Sounds like one my sister or I could have told.

    Geez...another reason to stay in the blogosphere. *wink*

    *many hugs*

    mo

    ReplyDelete
  28. It takes all types doesn't it?!!

    Loving your finds...especially that sweet vintage french book!

    ReplyDelete
  29. what a wonderful time you have,, I'm so jealous.I'm new to blogging,, have moved from a house in the country to an apartment in the sky with little room, due to hubbies illness.I have downsized alot and my love of this kind of thing is now only look don't bring home so I will have my fun watching you in your adventures, I am also your newest follower,,I'm going cross eyed from reading your posts,

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh, Betsy! I'm so very sorry you were treated that way. Shame on that man! I've been given similar treatment as that by strangers before. It's hard to believe people can be so rude and unkind.

    I'm glad you were still able to have a productive day - despite the demon devil dog!

    Hugs,
    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting My Salvaged Treasures. Your comments inspire me.