Thursday, April 28, 2011

My Birdhouse Corner

These little birdhouses are nestled behind a large tree in a corner of my back yard.  They were scattered around in different parts of the yard for several years until a few of them fell down during a recent wind storm.  They look so much better since I relocated them to this new neighborhood.


I used to make and sell these little houses by the dozens. Every couple of months, my garage would be transformed into a birdhouse factory full of old wood, molding, roofing material, keys, bits and pieces of hardware, and whatever else I thought would make a fancy perch. I loved making these little houses, but stuck to making just the facades because they didn't require master carpentry skills. I closed the old birdhouse factory down about ten years ago because it was time to move on to something else.  I'm amazed at how well these held up, probably because all the wood and accessories were already chippy and rusty when I built them.  It's funny, but some of the same things I used to decorate these houses with, I now use in my jewelry.

I had to convince myself that the doorknob plate needed to stay on this house.  I was so tempted to make a necklace with it.

The perch is a chippy pink cup holder from a bathroom set.  Looks like something fell off the front, and I think it needs a little flower pot in that cup holder.

#39 always looked like this with its chippy paint.  I remember giving this one several coats of sealer.

Birdie treadmill?

I think this one needs some bird seed.

Sometimes I miss the birdhouse factory, but I never miss the sawdust.

I'm linking up my birdhouses with:
Brambleberry Cottage for Time Travel Thursday,
My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday, and
French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday

23 comments:

d e l i g h t said...

Those are the cutest birdhouses I have ever seen! I think the "birdie treadmill" is awesome and it gave me a good laugh this morning!
Linda

Sassy Marsha said...

Oh, Betsy, I just LOVE these! Way back when one of our bathrooms and laundry room was county and I used to have a lot of birdhouses. Now the only one we have is the Nebraska Cornhusker one outside :)

Hey, are you going to the Home Garden Show Sat on Gerber Road? I've never been. I don't think it's a flea but I heard about it on the Tattered House FB page.

xxoo

Rae said...

Talented lady, I love all those bird houses! Any little peeps ever try to move in? Love the way you have them displayed, too!

lisbonlioness said...

The little treadmill put a huge smile on my face!

Full Circle Creations said...

Very cute! Love the one you called #39.

lavendergardencottage.blogspot.com said...

I love your birdhouses! You are giving me ideas for mine!

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

Love the treadmill and #39 perch!!!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

If I had to pick a favorite it would be hard - the Birdie Treadmill is so cute. You are one talented lady.
Enjoy your evening.

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

These are SO cute! Love the 'birdie treadmill' -- haha! I have several of these that are just plain barnwood -- never though of adding the cute things you have! Adorable arrangement on your fence!

A Few Pennies said...

I love how you decorated your fence with your past treasures; they have lasted a long time--my fave is the birdie treadmill! Patty

Pam said...

I love your birdhouses! They've held up so well too. I love how creative you were with all of the perches. Cute!

Lydia said...

Charming. Thank you for sharing the love you show these houses for some of life's best guests.

Pam said...

Love your birdhouses. I have a few birdhouses displayed in my back yard. They are not as beautiful as yours. YOu are such a creative lady. Love reading your posts.

Shanda said...

I love your birdhouses. My backyard is full of unique little things and I could just see your birdhouses on my walls. I might start looking for houses at garage houses. Thank you for the ideas!

Cheryl~ZanyMayd said...

How Sweet, Perfect line of Birdie Houses....

ANNE said...

They're delightful and look even better grouped together! I'd love to show them off on my Saturday post about 'visiting other nests.'

Sylvia said...

Super cute!!!

Sylvia

La Vie Quotidienne said...

These are all so cute and I love how you have grouped them all together it really makes a big impact. Very, very nice. have a great day!

Tammy said...

Betsy...these are just adorable. It is amazing what you make from odds and ends. Each one is so special!!
smiles...Tammy
have a terrific week!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

How darling Besty! Your sweet birdhouses are so charming and creative! Thanks for sharing at my party this week :)

Dragonfly Treasure said...

Those are so cute! Great ideas
*hugs*deb

pamq said...

Oh, the birdie treadmill is great!

And also the cup/flowerpot holder.

Even though it is pink.

;-)

Brambleberry Cottage said...

Ahh, your little feather-friends village looks so "tweet"! Sorry; I just couldn't resist that one! lol They really are cute, Betsy. I bet they would still sell really well.

Thanks for linking to the party.

Hugs,
Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/