Monday, April 25, 2011

Howard Restore-a-Finish Results

This is the old Household sewing machine cover I bought at a flea market last weekend.  You can see that the top is scratched and has some water damage.  I wasn't about to completely refinish the top, so I got out some steel wool and a can of Howard Restore-A-Finish in Golden Oak.

BEFORE

AFTER
OK, it's not perfect.  It didn't get out the water stain, but what a difference for very little effort.  You can see that it evened out the finish and got rid of the scratches. 

I don't have a before picture of this side, but it was splattered with tiny drops of paint.  Yes!  They've magically disappeared.

You'll need:  a can of Howard from any home improvement store, rubber gloves, #0000 steel wool and/or a couple of soft cloths.  I used steel wool because of the paint spots and the heavy scratches.  A soft cloth will work if you're just doing a light cleaning.  It comes in several different shades, so I usually have a few cans hanging around my garage. 

Do this in a well ventilated area because this stuff doesn't exactly smell good.  I applied it to the steel wool and then rubbed in the direction of the grain.  The paint spots needed to be rubbed a little bit harder, but they came right off.  I did all four sides and the top, then wiped off the excess with a soft cloth.  I left it for a couple of hours and then went back and applied a coat of Howard Feed-N-Wax to help protect the finish.  Feed-N-Wax is beeswax with orange oil and comes in a plastic bottle.  It smells much better than the Restore-A-Finish, but should still be used with good ventilation. 

I was happy to hear that so many of you have used this and really like it.  I'm all for getting the job done and moving on with the next project; this is an easy and inexpensive method.  Unfortunately, Howard isn't compensating me for all this praise.  Darn!

10 comments:

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Very nice! I will have to keep that in mind.
I have things I need to do today, but can't get to moving.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I need to get some! How incredible! Enjoy your week! ♥

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

Betsy, it looks soooo much better. Great job! I love the grain of the wood!!!

Sassy Marsha said...

Oh, how beautiful it looks!! Thank you for sharing! I'll have to keep this in mind should I ever have a treasure to restore!!

xxoo

Two Dollars said...

Good to know that I should be able to repair my oak dining table once the boys are a little old and use their silverware 'nicer' :)
-Stefanie
2ndChanceCreation.etsy.com

Susan said...

Beautiful!

Pam said...

Love the new look of the sewing machine cover. I must try some of this on a desk I have waiting in the garage.

pamq said...

I have a can of each under my sink right now....

Have never used the Restore-A-Finish, but I'm prepared.

Your project turned out really good!

Perhaps you should somehow arrange for the Howard people to see your lovely post.

And then sit back and wait for the cases of free product to come rolling in...........

dogsmom said...

Beautiful results. I know there are old home remedies for getting out water stains, but of course not in my accessible brain right now. Check sites like farmer's almanac type places. (Geesh, I can not even recall a good site name. I need a nap!)

Brambleberry Cottage said...

Howards is a great product. Hubby and I have some in the workshop...along with a ton of other DIY goodies. By the way, that is one wonderful old sewing machine cover!

Blessings,
Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/