Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Rhinestones and Rusty Treasures

Shiny and bright to rusty and crusty, I feel like I'm all over the place with my treasures this week.  I went to three yard sales here in town and two antique shops about thirty minutes away.  Not a huge junking weekend, but I'm happy. 

I love the pretty and shiny stuff:  postcards, rhinestones, lace, chain, buckle, cute little pink jar, a silver fabric rose.  The rhinestones are from a yard sale and everything else is from an antique store.

I also love the very serious patina going on with these two trays from one of the yard sales.  They've been well used and maybe a little abused, but they sure have character.

Then there's this beauty......
I'm going to go through my keys to see if I can find one that might work.

Look at all that rust patina.  I'm seeing a strange face in this handle.

This is the antique tool box (trunk) I bought at an estate sale several weeks ago.  It was in their garage buried under a pile of cardboard boxes; I didn't waste any time digging it out.   I had left it at my mom's house, so when she brought it back to me it was like discovering it all over again.

It's full of little compartments and has a removable box that sits on top.  I think of the hands that constructed it, the old tools it once stored, and all the places it's probably been.  I washed it all down to get rid of the dirt and a few droppings from little visitors, but other than that I'm going to leave it alone.  So much character. 

I'm linking up my treasures with:
Brambleberry Cottage for Time Travel Thursday,
Colorado Lady for Vintage Thingie Thursday,
A La Carte for Junkin Finds Friday, and
Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday

32 comments:

  1. You know the old saying about the grass always looking greener? Everytime I see the treasures you find, that's how I feel. Then I remind myself of the fabulous goodies I find around my neck of the woods, also. ;) I can't wait to see some of your treasures repurposed, Betsy.

    Thanks for linking to the party.

    Hugs,
    Liz @ the Brambeberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. These photos just make me want to linger here and imagine what holiday dinners those serving trays attended or what possessions that tool box held... such mysterious and magical history!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving all your finds. And the pink trunk/tool box thing. OH! To die for!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the tool box! That is a great find. The jewelry is wonderful also. Thanks for joining JFF this week. hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great finds. Love that old tool box.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great finds....that treasure box looks like something great...love all those compartments.
    smiles...Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the stash of bling. No treasure hunting for me this week (so far). I actually stayed in, cleaned off the table to change it out - got pictures to prove it is not cluttered all the time. :-D
    Enjoy your evening.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a great toolbox. Glad you dug for it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blog is great, Betsy. I'm your newest follower and have enjoyed reading some of your posts. I can't wait to read more ... the toolbox you bought is a fabulous find and for a great price! What a deal. I love how you wrote about sticking things here and there and then forgetting about them. I do the same thing! Doesn't stop me from buying though! Thanks for visiting Cottage and Creek and for leaving your nice comment. A bittersweet day, for sure.
    Best wishes ... Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it all! I think I would steal those platters if I got too close :0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. love all your pink pretties!
    xo,
    Sena

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Betsy! Great finds, all of them and especially that tool box!!

    Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Am loving that pink-y rhinestone-y bling!

    Pink usually isn't my color, but for that piece....well, I'd make an exception!

    Nice trays, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a FABULOUS tool box! And I LOVE rhinestones - the pink and crystal necklas is killer! Happy Thursday - Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Betsy,

    I love how you share your new found treasures with all of us. How lucky we are to have a wonderful glimps of your creative world. (I love how you saw a face in the handle...)

    *hugs*

    mo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my that tool box is incredible. The patina is beautiful. You made quite a find. What will you store in it?. My mind is running a mile a minute thinking of the possibilities. ~~Sherry~~

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm a sucker for old toolboxes, love them for garden goodies, you made a great haul! Thanks so much for linking up with VIF!
    hugs,
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  18. The rhinestones and little pink jar are my favs! You really did great! So many treasures! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. You found some neat things. Love the wooden box.

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great items! And I totally see the face in the handle!!! Over from Common Ground.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What great finds. That tool box has such beautiful character.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have some awesome finds!! Love the silver fabric rose!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the tool box...Wow! All your goodies are fun....I love "junking" finds.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovin the vintage pink bling, and there is not much better than tarnished silver, I don't clean my silver, love the tarnished look. Great finds!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great finds! I love pretty and shiny stuff too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You found some lovely treasures! I can't believe you found that vintage bling at a garage sale!
    ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  27. What gorgeous finds!

    I am having an antique auction on my blog. All sorts of lovely and romantic finds looking for a new home. I hope you'll stop by.

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh i love the shiney stuff (being a real magpie!) Lovely jewellery :o) Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting My Salvaged Treasures. Your comments inspire me.