Thursday, March 3, 2011

1954 Work from Home Projects

I bought a tin full of sewing notions at our city wide yard sale last October, then put it away without even looking through it.  A few days ago I was searching for something in a garage cabinet and was so surprised to rediscover the box.  Out of sight, out of mind.  I'm always putting little things away because I don't like clutter all over, but I need a better system.  I wonder what else is lost in the darkness of those cabinets.

I sure got a kick out of this magazine from August, 1954.  The WORKBASKET, Home and Needlecraft for Pleasure and Profit.  Most of the advertising is for different ways to make some extra money working from home.   A few extra dollars each week could make a huge difference in 1954.  All these ads seem so funny, but it's really only the merchandise, not the idea of generating a little extra income.

She looks so proud of her new collar.

Who has a waist this size?

This made me think of the refrigerator/freezer in my first apartment.  I finally defrosted the freezer when I couldn't dig out the ice cube tray.  Where was the Presto-Matic Defroster sales team?

Pre-Beanie Babies?  I hope this crafty lady made a fortune selling her
"Stuffies" idea.  

Sell a few "exquisitely designed" cards under this "astonishing" plan, and
your new scale or percolator shows up at your door.

This one is my favorite.  Mrs. Miles was so far ahead of her time with this innovative repurposing project.  There's a big gross factor to this one, but I'm still impressed with her creative thinking.
I think Mrs. Miles needs a blog.  She'd have me anxiously awaiting her next repurposing project. 
Just keep saving your cow horns!

I'm linking up these work from home projects with:

A La Carte for Junkin Finds Friday and
Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday

29 comments:

  1. My grandmother and mother subscribed to this magazine. I believe this is where my grandmother found people to "swap" with. One I remember is a swap where she sent her hand crocheted items to a woman in Texas and in turn she received two cloth dolls dressed in little blue dresses. One for me and one for my sister. Oh how I wish I still had that little doll. Thanks for the reminder. What a wonderful magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad to say that I remember those magazines. Sure wish I hadn't thrown all of them away years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh, I'm so glad you posted about these. I think I have a stack somewhere in my craft room, er, garage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is fun to read those old magazines. I remember going to my great aunts house when I was little and looking at her magazines that were vintage then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where are the cows when you need them?
    The only cow horn I have is a "Viking" drinking horn, and there shall be no flower growing in that one, Odin forbid!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was so fun to see that magazine! I love the ads and articles. Thanks for joining Junkin Finds Friday this week! hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, cow horns are probably the new shed antlers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have several boxes of 'cow horns' in the form of crochet dishcloths! HA! I am sure we all have items like that stuffed away! Thanks for the cute ads from 1954!

    ReplyDelete
  9. And now when you find a couple of cow horns with string attached, you'll know what they are for and how they came about! 1954. Can we pretend that was the year my mother was born instead of me?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I forgot! Telling my age had me addled. I've got a give-away going on over on my blog this month. Hop on over and put your name in the pot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So fun! The new collar is soooo exciting, I can tell it changed her life!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't that something! You know, in someways women back then found ways to create and share too! Love the horns as vases!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You put a tin of sewing notions away without even looking in it?!?!?!?

    Oh dear.

    I would have had that puppy open before I got to the car! ;-)

    And Workbasket! I sure remember those! My Grandma loved that magazine...... That and KitchenKlatter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love reading all this retro stuff its so cool

    ReplyDelete
  15. I subscribed to this in the late 1960's. Loved all the handiwork and ideas it contained. You found a nice 1950's copy that must be full of vintage ideas. ~~Sherry~~

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a great post. The cool thing...I was in high school in 1954 and can remember some of these things. Well, NOT the horn vases....:)))

    ReplyDelete
  17. lOVING THE FIND....What fun articles. I know how do they have such small waist. Ohhhh I wish I had that secret. Haha...
    Smiles...Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  18. I remember that magazine and it was always interesting to read. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great find! I would have so much fun going through those. My mom recently gave me some of the collars my grandmother crocheted. I am hoping to incorporate them into some sewing projects I have in mind.

    Thanks for sharing the magazine with us!

    ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is interesting, its funny when you look back through history you realize that not much has changed. Women were trying to juggle home and making some extra cash, and we still are.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fun peep back in time. The graphics are the best, the ideas? Um, well, I don't have any spare cowhorns laying around so maybe something else?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the sketches in older magazines. The women all look so put together and capable and pretty! I wonder what they wore to clean out the cow horns? Linda

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great year this was! The year I was born so I haven't seen these magazines before, if I did I was too little to remember. Thanks for sharing this....cute little magazine.
    Have a Blessed Day!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I see these around a lot and always have to flip through them! Love the stuffies!

    http://inthehammockvintage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Betsy, I would have paid someone to help me get my waist that small! The cow horn article is hilarious. I wonder if in 50 years they will be laughing at the work at home ads in Entrepreneur magazine?
    hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Betsy, I also have a few of these little magazines. I enjoy reading the magazines from the past; and it really wasn't that long ago, but things have changed a lot. I love the old ads.
    Have a great week!
    ~ Julie

    ReplyDelete
  27. WOW! I'll never look at a cow(steer)the same!
    Might be a new craze around these neck of the woods....(montana)cow horn wall pockets anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi , I Fould your link in bing.com ,Nice Blogs You write I have Bookmarked itwork from home


    Reply

    Forward

    ReplyDelete
  29. You are just too funny, Betsy! Now tell me that you wouldn't jump at the chance to repurpose some cow horns if you found them! I can just see it now - a pair of cow horns all decked out as one of your bejeweled creations. ;)

    Hugs,
    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting My Salvaged Treasures. Your comments inspire me.