Thursday, February 17, 2011

My Junking Weekend

We were so blessed last weekend with beautiful spring weather, perfect for another junkin' adventure.  I spent a few days at my mom's house so we could explore some "new to me territory" over in Grass Valley and Nevada City. We got a little sidetracked when we discovered a huge estate sale in a nearby town.  We spent a couple of hours there going through every room in the house, garage, and yard.  Oh, the stuff that got away!  Why weren't we there thirty minutes earlier?  The prices were amazing and well worth the detour. 

Saturday morning was spent going from one yard sale to another.  Unfortunately, the pickings were slim and I only bought from two of the dozen or so on our list.  No need to fear, I still had the Sacramento Antique Faire on Sunday. 

One of my favorite finds from the weekend is an antique tool box/trunk I bought for $15.00.  I wanted to clean it out before bringing it home and ended up leaving it behind in my mom's backyard.  I'll have to show that old thing off some other time.

This old shadow box was marked $5.  I was more than willing to pay that until they guy said his prices were all negotiable.  I offered $3 and he accepted.  I think the wood scoop thingie will be perfect to use as a display container for all my glass knobs.

Lovin' the rust and chipped paint on this little tool case.

More keys = more jewelry.  The receipt book from the 40's still has the little pencil attached.

The estate sale had piles of old books, so I bought two of these from The Nature Library Series, published in 1926.  This one is about wild flowers and is full of beautiful pictures.


The other volume is about animals.  More specifically, Animals Worth Knowing.  This book can tell you everything you've always wanted to know about the Star-nosed Mole, Virginia Opossum, Marsh Shrew, and everyone's favorite - The Hoary Bat.

I don't think I'd want to know this guy.

I couldn't pass up Betty's diary, and it looks like Opium-Eater has been eaten by something.  I haven't read her diary yet, but I'm sure it will be very interesting.

Pearls, beads, lace, and rhinestones.

Lots of vintage earrings.  I've been looking for pink and yellow - score!

I have repurposing on my brain.

I see a few bracelets here....love vintage buttons.

These old rusty crusty hooks were on my "focus list." They'll go on my next batch of yardstick coat hangers.

Tarnished and mismatched flatware.  Yep, on my list.

I have a mental list and a written list when I'm out treasure hunting, and most of what I buy isn't on either one of them.  I'm sure you all know how that goes.

I'm linking up my weekend finds at:
Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday,
A La Carte for Junkin Finds Friday

35 comments:

Angela said...

Whoo-hoo! You're making me want to get up early and go junk hunting!!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Wow, you did get a lot of goodies. Of course you know which are my favorites. :D I have been checking for up coming estate sales in the area for this weekend, but so far nothing looks promising for what I am looking for.
Enjoy your weekend.

Le Anne said...

I seriously want to hang out at your elbow for a day and see how you create. I have stuff like this sitting around my house but I can't see further than the end of my nose sometimes! I love seeing what you find!

Petite Michelle Louise said...

oh-so-jealous! that's a whole lotta junkin treasure there! what fun! :)

Ellen said...

Oh my goodness did you hit the treasure load! Wow! I love the sign and the little metal bird. Good for you!

xoxox,
Ellen

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

You found some great stuff. Love the scoop.

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Love the old hooks and keys. I hope there will be some good estate sales this weekend..needing a "fix"!
deb

⚜ ↁℯℬℬᴵℰ⚜ said...

Tomorrow the hubs and I are going antiquing, I can't wait, it's been awhile...you got some good loot there!!~ XO

kpaints said...

My heavenly stars....what a haul! You will be busy for sometime with all those beauties! I want to see your house!!! Congrats on all that fun stuff!

Dandelion and Daisy said...

I want to go shopping with you...SOON! What a great haul, I love the books, keys, jewelry, I love it all. Great finds!

Susan said...

I absolutely love your junking finds!! The pearls and lace ohhhhh lala!! I love the cute skunk print!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Goodness I am so jealous of your fab finds! No yard sales yet around here but soon I think. Love all the jewelry and the shadow box is a huge score! Thanks for joining Junkin Finds Friday! hugs, Linda

A Few Pennies said...

Love them all; the keys, the book and vintage buttons---but, I realllllly love that silverware too!

Jane said...

Great, great stuff! You purchased just about everything that would have been on my list too! Have a great weekend.
Jane

Linda said...

I just love everything you found...just my kind of day! Great goodies!

Karie's Chic Creations said...

Oh My Goodness, Love everything. Especially the jewelry. What great finds. Thanks for sharing. Karie

...............Michele @ Portlandia Vintage said...

Inspiring treasures for sure! Portlandia Vintage

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Good stuff, you have me all excited, I am going to a really big antique fair this weekend!

Carol

Debra@Common Ground said...

Oh my gosh, what a fabulous bunch of loot! love it all...the jewelry, books, silver. what a bunch of fun that must have been! Thanks so much for linking up with VIF.
xo,
Debra

FRENCH LAUNDRY said...

Looks like you scored a bunch of great finds!

Hugs,
Judy

laxsupermom said...

Great finds! That shadow box for $3 was a steal! Love the keys and the flatware! Thanks for sharing.

Custom Comforts said...

Love your tarnished flatware!!! I posted about mine, but yours look prettier than what I found. I'm going to a big antique show tomorrow and will look for more. The longer I blog, the more things I end up collecting. First it was transferware, then dishes, then glass and now silverware. Wonder what will be next. So glad to meet you ~ newest follower.
Cindy

Ms. Bake-it said...

What great finds! I especially love the wood scoop and the flatware!

~ Tracy

julie miller said...

Hi Betsy, The sales won't be starting around here for a long time - so jealous!! You really did score and looks like you'll be busy for awhile! Have fun, Julie

Vicki said...

I am getting up early to head out junking with my girlfriends. We'll be at Renningers Antique Extravaganza in Mt. Dora. I just can't wait after seeing these pics. You had some great finds. Thanks for sharing.

Martha said...

What great finds and I, too, love Estate Sales!

mo said...

Betsy, You make us green with jelousy! lol

What wonderful piles of awsome treasures. I love the mismatched silverware, the books oh, and the hooks!

Only you would see something to do with the hooks. *wink*

Great job! As always.

*hugs*

Michelle L. said...

Drool!

Junker Newbie Stephanie said...

Love your finds! Especially the keys.

Marigene said...

Some really fantastic finds...love the flatware.

Desirée-ScrapDees said...

what a great stuff you bought! I really like the old jewels and the old keys, so lovely!

Laurie said...

It's all yummy, but I especially love the earrings, the buttons, and the books!

pamq said...

Ok. I'm coming with you next time you go out shopping.

Love the pile of keys, the silverware and I really, really, really love that necklace with the rhinestone spacers.........oooolala!

The Muse said...

Thank you for your kind compliments regarding my book of prose, which was so sweetly shared at Ms Bee's blog :)
I have enjoyed visiting everyone...getting peeks into new blogs.. :) Goodness you have a treasure trove~and I adore the plethora of beauty!

Brambleberry Cottage said...

You must have a very big garage to store all your treasures in - until you can repurpose and sell them. Even my two barns don't hold all my junk! But then, a lot of the pieces are large furniture pieces.

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/