Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Year End Vintage Finds

The estate sales around here were few and far between during the month of December.  On a rainy day about a week before Christmas, I was feeling the need for a "vintage fix" and decided to drive over to a local junk recycled treasures shop. 

Oh my!  I thought it was best to leave my truck parked outside the gate. 
Believe it or not, I've been able to find some really good old stuff here, but they really make you work for it.  Organization is not a priority.

Darn!  I thought it was Happy Hour when I spotted those half full glasses
 sitting on the top shelf.

They must assume that everything here is waterproof. 

 
It looks like we had a tornado blow through town.  On a dry day I would have been tempted to pick through some of these shutters.  Well, maybe not.

This picture was taken from a safe distance.  If I had been prepared with some thigh-high waders, I would have gone in after this mirror. 

 I did manage to rescue these before they floated away, so the trip wasn't a complete wash out.  I spent a total of $5.00 for all three pieces.  It was a good flood sale, but these will need some serious work.
It wasn't easy trying to get a picture of this gold and lavender mirror (strange combination) without being part of it.  That tray is just as strange with its flaking brown paint and doilies glued to the underside of the glass .  The Austrian glass kerosene lamp base seemed normal enough. 

The mailbox and three drawers were much easier to come by.  After Christmas we took a day trip over to Placerville, a cute old town in the Sierra foothills.  I spotted the drawers in a little shop where everything was 50% off.  The two drawers on the bottom are metal, so I thought they'd be great for potted plants.  It's hard to see in this picture, but the long drawer on the top is painted a yummy shade of green.  I think that mailbox is in serious need of some decorating.

These vintage rosaries, earrings, and camera are also from the
antique stores in Placerville.

I have some jewelry plans for this camera if I can get the little metal parts off without damaging them. 

I'm linking up my vintage finds with:
Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays,
A La Carte for Junkin Finds Friday

19 comments:

Melissa said...

Great finds! I love Placerville! We used to go up to Loon Lake about an hour above Placerville, every August when I was growing up. I was there 2 years ago for the last time, and it was so fun to see that the town is pretty much the same! It is a really beautiful area!

Erin@likegrandmas said...

Too bad about all the "natural disasters", looks like you could have made some pretty good scores(although you did score some fine pieces:)). Love the other goodies that you found!

Michelle L. said...

I laughed when I saw the underwater outdoor junkyard. I run across that all too often, what are they thinking? But after a rain, at least everything is clean!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I love places like that but then it rains and ruins so much stuff it's hard to see that. You really found some cool stuff. Thanks for joining JFF.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Love the rosaries and earrings. Sorry the weather got in the way. Have not been to any sales in a while here.
Have a great week.
Glenda

The Polka Dot Closet said...

I love a junk hunt, they are my favorite, drawers are always a great find!

Carol

kpaints said...

Wow, what I wouldn't do to thrift with you!!!! Love the places you went...I could dig in that first one allllll day!! Great finds!

Jane said...

Hi Becky,
That looks like my kind of place...you never know what you're going to find!
I like what you found on your shopping days. You can't go wrong with drawers. I love the rosaries!
Hope you're having a good week.
Jane

Susan said...

Oh man!! How sad they let all those treasures set out in the rain!!

mo said...

Hi Becky, I love the blue rosaries. They are precious. *hugs*

Bounty Huntress said...

Nice finds! I've been to places like this only with dead crickets in bowls priced sky high!

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove said...

What a fun adventure! And some great finds. Even better, good prices! I like the items you picked up! Can't wait to see the mirror redone.

Linda said...

Great finds...I especially love the three-part mirror! Looks like fun digging!

Karie's Chic Creations said...

That darn weather can ruin a good treasure hunt! Looks like there was lots of good stuff. Thanks for sharing and thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a sweet comment. Hope to see you again. Have a great day.

Ames said...

It's a shame they didn't throw some tarps over some of that stuff! Glad you found some goodies though!~Ames

Linn said...

I enjoyed travelling thru the 'junk' treasure yard with you and best of all? I didn't get wet! Thanks for sharing Betsy. You would have to stomp thru snow where I live.. Linn

Marigene said...

Wow, what a treasure trove that place is!

Dragonfly Treasure said...

OMG!!! Gonna have to that Heaven one of these days!! Love places like that!
*hugs*deb

Brambleberry Cottage said...

Seeing your outdoor junking spot reminded me of my favorite one where I live. It is so sad to see the amount of good stuff that gets ruined by the weather there - if some junk-a-holic like me doesn't rescue it first!

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/