Sunday, January 9, 2011

New Jewelry From Some Old Sources

Last week I posted about this vintage Beacon camera I found in an antique store.  The poor thing was sitting in the window on a clearance shelf along with several other items.  How could I pass it up?  The glass lens on top was broken out, but I had other plans.....



Now it's a brooch.  The old Beacon was easier to take apart than I thought it would be.  I was concerned that I'd bend the metal parts while trying to pry them off.  I guess I must be getting better at dismantling these gadgets.  I added a vintage rhinestone button in the center for a little sparkle.  The pin on the back has a bail attached, so it can also be worn as a necklace.

I didn't realize that this other little metal piece wasn't in the before picture.  It came off the side where the camera would open and close.  I thought the bracelet needed a pop of color, so I punched out the plastic red windows from the back of the camera and added them to the filigrees.  The chain and clasp came from another old bracelet.

OK, this one requires an explanation.  Last month when we had our furnace and air conditioner replaced, I was eyeing some of the little parts while the installers were pulling out the old furnace.  I decided to pass on the colored wires, and everything else looked like more than I wanted to deal with.  When it was time for the thermostat to be trashed, I had to grab it.  Yes, I got a strange look when I told the guy what I wanted to do.

After removing the very sticky glue from the back, I was able to salvage the dial and make this brooch.  I layered it with a filigree, an old watch face, and then topped it off with a black glass and rhinestone vintage earring. 

I'm linking up my repurposing projects at:

Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday,
Shabby Chic Cottage for Transformation Thursday,
Brambleberry Cottage for Time Travel Thursday



16 comments:

  1. What a great idea and everything you made looks GORGEOUS!! Brilliant! Thanks for sharing, very inspiring! XOXO ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Betsy, thanks for visiting me. Your new pieces are AWESOME...how DO you think of these amazing things???

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGosh, I so admire your imagination!!! If only I had a little of it! Love where your mind goes...just a wonderful job on all of it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love what you did with the salvaged pieces! Bet you did get some strange looks from the repairman. :D I remember my encounter with the salesman at the hardware store recently. :D
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you are a genius!! The pieces you created from the camera and the thermostat are incredible! Love, love, love them!!
    Have a great week.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Betsy, I am in awe at your creativity! Your pieces are fabulous.
    xo,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  7. my goodness - how amazingly beautiful! can i just stand next to you and see if a drop of your creativity would fall on me??? too lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well aren't you clever! I love your jewelry and how your mind works when you see something with potential.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I knew you would come up with some wonderful creations!! You are soooooo talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gasp. All stunning. But you KNOW my favorite thing is the red plastic in the filigree! You done did it again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. U-n-b-e-l-i-e-v-a-b-l-e! You are so creative, I love what you've done here! Fabulous! You're a jewelry artist after my own heart:)
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  12. You use everything don't you. This is amazing. Love what you do. I would love to have your imagination. I bet it was fun to see the furnace man's face. Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  13. I found you from blog hopping this morning and so glad I did. I laughed so hard when you explained how you kept parts from your furnace upgrade. Because I have done the same thing so many times and I know the workers think I am a lunatic. The other day this guy pulled into the grocery store parking lot in a truck. The truck was full of rusty old pieces of whatever. Well...I ask the guy where he was taking all the stuff and he said the dump. I got a silly grin on my face and asked him for some of his "stuff". He gladly gave it to me but the shaking of his head was priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Betsy, Your brooch and bracelet from the old camera are magnifico! The bracelet takes my breath away. I do not tell many people this (in the blog world) but I am a mechanical engineer, and I am in awe of your talent for "re-eningineering" pieces of yesteryear. You are amazing. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  15. You see beauty, where others see trash. In my opinion, that's what makes folks like us artists, Betsy! ;)

    Thanks for joining the party. I love seeing your lovely creations each week.

    Blessings,
    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are so very creative!!
    Love your ideas.

    blessings

    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting My Salvaged Treasures. Your comments inspire me.