Wednesday, January 19, 2011

College Flea Market Finds

I had high hopes for a Saturday morning estate sale I saw on Craigslist this past weekend.  Antiques and collectibles, years of accumulation, selling everything from storage unit, below market prices, blah, blah, blah.  I thought it would be well worth the half hour, early morning drive.  No such luck and very misleading.  One very angry couple even accused the sellers of false advertising.  I was disappointed, but happy to still have money in my wallet. 

I drove around hoping to spy another sale or two.  Again, no such luck.  As I drove past the community college I noticed all the white canopies and remembered the flea market they have in their parking lot every weekend.  I don't shop at this market because it's full of tools, car parts, toys, electronics, etc.  Feeling frustrated with the lack of vintage treasures in my trunk, I decided to take a quick look around.  I flew down the aisles passing up booth after booth of new merchandise, and finally managed to sniff out a few vintage treasures......

I thought this hanging metal shopping reminder was so cute.  It even has a little compartment for your trading stamps and tiny magnets to remind you to buy biscuits, cream, and starch.  What, no lard?

I'll never have too many frames.  These are really old and in good shape except for the bad paint job.  I haven't decided if I want to paint them white or rough them up a bit and tone down that gold.

More jewels for repurposing, cool knob with chippy black paint, and a big fork for stamping.

These were my favorite find of the day.  I walked away from them at first and regretted it two minutes later.   When I went back, the dealer gave me a better deal for the five of them.   I think these little girls in their first Holy Communion dresses are so precious.

These two are embossed with "My First Communion"
In the third picture, these girls are in the picture together.


These two girls don't look that much alike, but they might have been sisters or cousins.  Do you think that explains why they're in the picture together?   The last three are embossed with "My Communion"

 After taking a closer look at all of these, the wicker chair, table, and carpet are the same, but the flowers and vases are different in these last two. 

Unfortunately, the dealer didn't know anything about these.  Who are these girls?  Where and when were these taken?  I was able to slip one of the photos out of the frame without bending it, but there was nothing written on the back.  I'm always so curious about old photos.  A picture is worth a thousand words.


I'm linking up my flea market finds with:
The Colorado Lady for Vintage Thingie Thursday,
Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday,
French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday,
A La Carte for Junkin Finds Friday

30 comments:

  1. Cool finds and those pictures are darling!!! I love those frames too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice finds! You know the jewelry would be my favorite. :D
    Enjoy your day.
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you stopped as you found some awesome treasures. Love the frames and the jewelry, but those communion photos are fab! Maybe they were the same family or from the photographer's samples.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love those first communion photos! They are so sweet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the little girls! I think you are authorized to invent their history. The one on the right is your great-grandmother Sadie, and the one on the left is her classmate Euphonia Gribble.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, so my favorite find was the frames, I love oval frames and they are so hard to find. I hate days like that usally it's the kind of day where all the garage sales I drive to have baby strollers and toys.....bummer! At least you were able to salvage the day!!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well you lucked out at your flea market. Those girls are adorable. I always wonder how the old pictures ever got in a flea market or antique store.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think those two girls that are in the same picture do look alike.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great finds! 'specially that jewelry at a college! Cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My Beautiful Miss Betsy!
    Even when you get off to a rough start you always manage to persevere and find the most wonderful treasures. You are a true Master in the art of Junking. I love, love, love the Shopping Reminder it got my wheels turning for a "home crafted" one, hmmmm. I, also, have a thing for old frames and have bins(yes plural) bins full of them just waiting for the perfect makeover. We also share a curiosity in the history of found vintage treasures. It's fun to imagine where they might have come from, isn't it?

    Big Warm Hug To You,
    Irma

    ReplyDelete
  11. You will be surprised at times what you find at flea markets. I love estate sales too, but they are not always estate sales. Over priced garage sales.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Betsy, You know I love the picture with the fork and all of the goodies!

    Good eye girlfriend!

    The first Holy Communion pictures are precious too.

    I think it is funny when you said you were not "satisfied" with your amount of trunk treasures before the "finds".

    I think your intuition was working and letting you know not to give up the hunt!

    *hugs*

    mo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to find that tin grocery list!
    Glad you treasure the communion pictures, I hate it when I see peoples pictures in a store, glad they found a good home

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very good day for finds, I would say. I love the that Shopping Reminder. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those first communion photos are darling. Great vintage finds, a day well spent in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great finds! I adore the shopping reminder, so much fun!

    Happy VTT,
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  17. What sweet pictures. I'm glad you finally found some treasures after a disappointing start.
    Susanne.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Me Again! :D They did not belong to my Mother. They came from someone who was going thru some things that had belong to her Mother. From what I understand, she kept the valuable/sentimental pieces and these were just odds and ends - missing earring, broken pin, etc. The charm bracelet was bought like that and the charms were not collected with memories. I did some research, may be old, but not sure it is in the category of vintage - found a couple of them on ebay.
    We got about 1 1/2 ins. of snow (if that much) today - No biggie, but the big concern is ice tonight and in the morning.
    Stay warm and enjoy your evening.
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  19. You did well for not having any plan! I love it all... the frame is gorgeous and the jewelry is very inspiring!

    I too wonder about the people in photos...as well as the former owners of things. I didn't like history in school but now I LOVE IT!

    Jillian
    Bella Rosa Antiques

    ReplyDelete
  20. you found some wonderful things. love the jewelry and the precious photos. So glad you linked up for the party. And as far as I'm concerned you can never have too many frames.
    hugs,
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are so sweet, I can not imagine anyone giving them up. Lucky you!! Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Betsy, Thank you for stopping in and wishing KiKi well. I am breathing again. It's been a dramatic week for us. "All's well that ends well." *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, I hate it when people post misleading ads. But you sure turned the day around. I love old photos, and those are a wonderful find.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the frames and the old photos. I find old photos quite fascinating. the shopping reminder is too cute!

    ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  25. The little girls look so sweet all dressed for communion. Great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  26. thanks for stopping by and your sweet comments. I will enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Aren't you glad you stopped in on that flea market? You walked away with some real treasures! I can't wait to see what creativity comes out of all that loot. ;)

    Hugs,
    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Betsy!!! I just love your treasures- those photos are darling and such a neat find- of course I love the frames- I might just rough up the gold too- I am sucker for some old gold finish on frames sometimes. Thanks so much for coming by and sharing at Feathered Nest Friday this week!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I know all about ads like that...but you still went home with cool stuff...all was not lost! Your jewelry is amazing!
    Rene

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting My Salvaged Treasures. Your comments inspire me.