Sunday, December 26, 2010

Repurposed Ornaments

What does one do after stepping on a box of ornaments that were carelessly left on the floor?  Use a few choice words, pick up the broken ornaments, toss them in the garbage, walk away, then finish decorating the tree.  Before I was able to get back to the tree, I felt this urge to take a second look in that garbage can.  Could something be salvaged here?  Of course!!   Please thank me for not grabbing my camera and taking a picture of the contents of the garbage can.  I fished the little cap thingies out of the garbage and set them aside.  I just knew I'd be wearing them one way or another.



This silver top didn't flatten out all the way, but it was the perfect size for a flat back marble to rest in.  Sheet music + vintage button = brooch.


Little buttons with rhinestones


These flattened gold tops weren't in the box that broke, I just took them off of some ornaments I no longer use.  The buttons are actually much brighter than they appear in this picture. 


Mother of Pearl buttons and lavender rhinestones from an old necklace.


These are my favorites.  Only one Shiny Brite broke when I stepped on the box, so I hunted down a matching top from another ball.  These tops are older and thicker than the others, so I just left them alone rather than try to flatten them out.  The little rhinestones are from another pair of vintage earrings. 

I think I'll be sifting through all my unused ornaments before I put them away for the year. I just might find some more inspiration at the bottom of a Shiny Brite box.  Sometimes a little accident can be a good thing;-)




I'm linking up with:
 Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch,
Wednesday at Tea Rose Home,
Time Travel Thursday at Brambleberry Cottage
 

17 comments:

Glenda/MidSouth said...

What a great idea and they are very pretty.
I usually take a second look before throwing something like that in the trash. More often than not, pitching it then wishing I had kept it later. :)
Hope you and your family are enjoying the holidays.

Petite Michelle Louise said...

how very...very clever! J'adore!

The English Romantic said...

It's great to see that nothing is wasted.
An amazing transformation.
Smiles, Angela.

CraftyHope said...

Oh wow! These are simply inspired!
You've definitely made me re-think what I toss.
Thanks for sharing!

Donnie said...

I would have just dumped them but you see things differently. I lack a creative gene but I sure can see the beauty you found in them. Just lovely.

Dandelion and Daisy said...

Girl, you are so darn creative! I love the way you see things....with such imagination.

The DIY Spot said...

I think I would call this "Ornamental Jewelry". Cleverly creative! Well done. Love the last pair too.

mo said...

Hi Betsy, I so wish you could see the HUGE smile you have put on my face this morning! HA! Again, you are the Master of Salvaged Treasures. So very beautiful! Only you could make such treasured beauty out of what others would just toss away. Fantastic work my friend! Awsome. *hugs*

Marilyn Holeman said...

I'm visiting from BNOP and I have just one word to say --Brilliant!

Miss Char said...

Wish you could see me sitting here applauding your efforts. What a great re-purposing of what I would have considered trash. Thanks for the eye opener.

SavannahGranny said...

Too cute! Such a great idea. All of them are uptown ready. Ginger

Michelle L. said...

Ooh, love them! I am itching to get my hands on some of those thingies!!! Dollar store, half price Xmas ornaments, here I come.

Janean said...

creativity just ooooozes from you!!!! lovely - all of it.

jennifer said...

Those are just the CUTEST earrings! I love the Shiny Brite pair. This was such a great idea!

viridian said...

Great post! how original.
I agree with all they said!
Thanks for sharing.
I'm visiting from Time Travel Thursday.

Brambleberry Cottage said...

Betsy, you are just too creative!!! Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen a single thing you've created that I didn't love.

I had to chuckle when you said you went back to the trash to see what might be salvagable from the broken ornaments. My children, parents, and siblings all say I refuse to throw anything away, because I think something cool can be made from it. And they're right. That's why I have two barns full of "stuff"! ;)

Thanks for linking to my party. I look forward to seeing what you link up each week.

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com

poindextr said...

I love these! I also love the items made from the parts of the camera. I happen to have an old camera that I will never again use, although it belonged to my dad. He purchased it in the 1950s. I did use it at one time, but film photography is an expensive hobby... just wondering if I can bear to start taking it apart. Interesting idea, however.... thanks so much for sharing. -diane