Saturday, November 27, 2010

Mod Podge Bracelets and a Big Thank You

I sure hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving.  Our little turkey is now down to the bone, but I'm still trying to squeeze a couple of sandwiches out of it.  The side dishes have been gobbled up, and I ate the last piece of pumpkin pie for lunch.  Yep, it was good while it lasted.

A few days ago, I felt the urge to do something with these bracelets even though I had plenty of other projects I should have been working on.  I recently bought these ugly bracelets and thought they were in desperate need of some TLC.  I'm not sure that metal thing is even a bracelet, but the size was perfect......

Then I got out my handy dandy paper cutter and chopped up some strips from an old book, sheet music, and a $1.00 garage sale atlas from 1956. 

I applied Mod Podge to each strip and wrapped them around the bracelet.  I slightly overlapped each strip and kept the seams on the inside.  I like the look of the atlas bracelets the best....France, United States/Canada, and a thin slice of Texas.  I still need to add a coat of glossy varnish and maybe mix in some glitter for a bit of sparkle.

I want to make more of these; how about one for each country in my atlas?  I headed out to the dollar store in search of hard plastic bracelets.  No luck there, and no luck at that other store where I could get them for one penny less.  I am determined to hunt them down, and I will make more.

Now for the Big Thank You......

I will never be able to shop in a dollar store again without thinking of the creative mind of Michelle of Mich L. in L.A. You have to check out her blog to see what her wild imagination comes up with. She never ceases to amaze me.

Last month, I tried to guess the mystery item she used to make a bracelet in one of her "Guess the Mystery Thing" contests.  She had made a bracelet using an old automotive hose and stumped us all.  I was the first person to mention a hose, so she still sent me this very cool necklace made with part of a jelly headband from the dollar store, and this bracelet made from a vacuum hose.  How cool are these?   Sorry Mich, your pictures are much better. 

Thank you so much, I am proud to be the owner of a Mich L. in L.A. original.

I'm linking up with:

Photobucket
 
UndertheTableandDreaming




15 comments:

  1. Such a really clever idea! I love them!
    Cheers, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, Betsy, you are ten kinds of darling to talk me up! I'm so happy you got 'em and liked 'em! Wear in good health. AND - your bracelets look maw-velous. The metal one with the raised edges - wish you could find more of those, whatever they are, so elegant! I do love all the atlas ones, just beautiful. Many hugs - Mich

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been collecting these old bracelets for a while to do the same thing!! Yours look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I'm blog hopping and found your blog. I'm a new follower. Would love for you to check out my blog and follow back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bracelets are FANTASTIC!! I will absolutely be making some of these for gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the atlas bracelets are the cutest. How adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute idea! These would make great stocking stuffers. Thanks for stopping by my blog- as far as the chairs are concerned I had to pay for them and have them hold them for me until I could get my husbands truck. I was so worried they would sell them before I could pick them up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your Mod Podge bracelets! I'll have to look for some of those 80's bangles at yard sales and do something like this. Very cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for visiting my blog. I am now following you and look forward to your postings. grace

    ReplyDelete
  10. My daughter made a bracelet using the maps and the sheet music a few months ago, the bracelets were wooden bracelets we found at the thrift store, she had fun making them. we also used yarn and felt for the others. I make the tube bracelets, we used them for our girlscout troop. sunch fun!!!! love jewelry do overs! love it!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww... we are Mich L- bracelet buddies! I got the Jeans one, love it. Now I have to try your Mod Podge ones, they are fab!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello friends,

    Very good idea! The bracelets are so fantastic and cutest. I like it. Thanks alot....
    Wooden Watch

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the atlas covered ones best myself. That's such a clever way to upcycle old bangles, Betsy.

    Blessings,
    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these! How clever! I have shared it with my readers at Aimeeasher.com and can't wait to make some myself! Thanks for the great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting My Salvaged Treasures. Your comments inspire me.