Tuesday, November 23, 2010

I Need Help! It's Time To Upgrade My Camera

I need help from my wonderful blogging friends.  For months now I've been thinking about upgrading my little camera.  Yes, the time has come.  It has been a true friend, a reliable workhorse, tossed around and dropped multiple times, and it never once left me with a dead battery.  They just don't build them like they used to; the back of this beauty is made from wood.  Up until now I've resisted trading it in for a newer, fresher, smarter, more efficient model. 


Film No. 116 is getting harder to find these days, so I thought I'd upgrade to this beauty.....

I love the lines on this spiffy Brownie Target Six-20.  It had mixed reviews, but I couldn't resist the sale price of $5.00.  Now I need to figure out what type of film it uses and how to open it.

Don't you love these old boxes?  So simple. So fossil like.  So few choices.  Seriously, this is where I need help from my friends.  The camera I actually use (Sony Cyber-shot) has been good to me, but I need to upgrade to something other than a point and shoot camera.  Photographing jewelry with this camera is really difficult because it just doesn't know where to focus, and I'm not getting the clarity I want.  My new camera will be used mostly for posting items on my web site, my "one of these days" Etsy shop, and of course, my blog.  Sooooo, I really need your input. 

What kind of camera do you use?  What do you like about it?  What don't you like?  What questions should I be asking?  All your tips will be so helpful.

Also, I decided that these two lovely old and tattered cameras need to be repurposed.  If I can figure out how to open them up and get them apart, the parts just might make some great jewelry.

Thank you all so very much.  I'm looking forward to all your beautiful holiday pictures.  Have a wonderful, safe, happy, and healthy Thanksgiving.  Hugs:-)

5 comments:

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I remember my mother using one of the old box cameras similar to the first one.
Sorry, I am of no help on what kind to get - I need a new one myself. It is hard to photograph jewelry, but I hadn't been to concerned as I have not been selling. Don't know if that will change or not.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Michelle L. said...

Beautiful camera boxes! I know you will totally salvage some cool bits and pieces from inside. I have been using a pretty useless camera - one designed to take wide-angle shots of rooms, but it's not great for close-ups. So am interested to see what suggestions people might have!

Jane said...

I'm not a camera expert but I do like the camera I use. It is a Canon EOS 20D (they no longer offer the 20D but the equivalent would be the 50D). You can use it in the point and shoot mode (like I do) or you can shoot in manual mode (like my son does). You can also change out the lenses for shooting different distances.
It has been a good camera for me. There are a lot of options out there so I'm sure you'll find something to suit your needs.
Happy Thanksgiving.
Jane

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I use a Canon EOS 10D (also no longer offered like Jane's) but such a fabulous camera. Good Luck!

mo said...

Hi Betsy,

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. I broke down and bought a Canon Rebel XSI. Once you buy the expensive camera, the images are free. Anyways, I do love it. I hope you find one you love as much. *hugs*