Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Yard Sale and Antique Store Finds

I always try to take pictures of my goodies BEFORE I put them away.  It's not always possible if it's pouring down rain, or if I just have too many other things going on.  Better late than never.  It's getting to be that time of year again.  The sales around here are going into a dormant stage, people are getting busy with the holidays approaching, and the weather is getting unpredictable.  Still, they're out there and I'm going to hunt them down!

These goodies were from this past weekend and the weekend before.  OK, I have some splainin' to do with this dresser.  I came up with several excuses reasons to buy it....
#1 - It was a great bargain.  I know, it doesn't always justify buying something I don't need.  I set out to buy just the little stuff, but couldn't pass this up.  The veneer is peeling off in several places, but the garage doesn't care about that.    #2 - Great storage.  I need  something with lots of deep drawers because I'm running out of storage space; my cabinets around the perimeter of the garage are completely full.  #3 - It came with a bevelled mirror and the claw feet sitting on top.  I need to do something with those feet.  I forgot to get a picture of the mirror, but will get one when I get around to fixing it up. The globe came from the same sale.  #4 - These gorgeous knobs.  10 of them in perfect condition.........

 I'll find something else to use on the dresser.  These are just too nice to be
in the garage.  I also found these 2 quilts.  The one on top is really old and a bit tattered, but I still love it.  The one on the bottom isn't real old, but it's soft and I love the colors.  My hand was just a little quicker than the woman standing next to me when we both reached for this coral.  No, no, I didn't fight her for it :-)

I'll never be able to pass up a typewriter at a good price.  The book was from another sale and came complete with a receipt for a library fine....Shirley Smith had to pay .30 in 1953.

Personal and Community Health 1948.....humorous reading.
History of England 1880,
and

This will be a good one to curl up with when I can't sleep.

This personal "hands off" note from Geo. F. Roesch is falling out of this paper weight.  I think I'll put something else inside but keep this original note behind it.

I got all 22 cards from the 30's and 40's for just $2.  They all have writing inside, but I love them for the graphics.

Reverse painted silhouettes.  The one on the left has a convex frame.

Both of these have convex frames.

A few vintage ornaments, lace, and trim.

 
I'll have lots of fun with these jewels from a local antique shop.  They were all marked way down because of a few missing stones and broken clasps. 


I'm linking up with:


A La Carte for Junkin Finds,
The Colorado Lady for Vintage Thingie Thursday, and

 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/

39 comments:

  1. You got a boatload of treasures here...my favorites are those vintage Christmas ornaments and those glass knobs!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh what beautiful finds. i love all the old jewelry and the shiny brites! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow~ looks like you got some fabulous finds!! Love the knobs and the coral!! Score!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did get some great finds. Have to admit the vintage bling would be my favorite. :D
    Hope you are having a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what fun Miss Betsy!!!
    I would have bought the drawers for the knobs alone and if you had fought the woman for the coral piece my money would have been on you =o)
    You're going to have to lend me the Indexing and Filing book when you're done with it, I have trouble sleeping too. lol (you're so cute!)
    You got some great bling there, I can't wait to see what you do with it!

    Much love, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful treasures. I love those old silhouette pictures!Sounds like you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. excellent finds... you always seem to come away with some great things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What great finds. You don't have to explain the dresser to me. I just bought one to put in the garage...i too was out of space! I need the deep drawers!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved the jewelry you found...will be great for making repurposed jewelry or collages...I would have had to get the chest of drawers for the knobs too...antique hardware is getting harder to find...good stuff Tiff

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey there Betsy~ I noticed that you are in Tracy!! I grew up in the bay area! I know it's not the same area- but close enough to say hello!! I am your 100th follower!!! Hope you will stop by again and consider joining my Feathered Nest Friday Party sometime! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok, I love it all! What wonderful treasures!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You really have been out and about. I never seem to find things like this. You found some nice goods on these shopping days.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. Great finds. Especially love the cards. And the indexing and filing book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My favorites are the silhouettes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you bought the typewriter I received for my high school graduation present...well, not the SAME one but one just like it and OMG it is considered an "antique"!!! Let's just call it a collectible, shall we? Great loot!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow....what amazing things. I think my parents had a typewriter like that years and years ago, it was as heavy as lead! I so love the cards and of course the vintage ornaments! Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have some awesome finds. I bought my grandmothers old typewriter at her estate sale. My son loves the history and the fact that it isn't electronic (a very green thinker) he has it in his living room I posted the winner of the truck contest my sisters and I had back in September. I also am having a give away for my 100th blog in just a few days so hope you will be able to come by for a visit. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those Silhouettes are neato. I just picked one up myself but haven't gotten a chance to take some good photos of it either (I have one photo where it's in the background to something)!

    Great Finds!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love it all! We would not be good shopping partners because we would be going for the same things!
    The jewelry pieces in your header photos are stunning.
    Glad you stopped by my blog so I could find you...I'm your newest follower.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Betsy, Way to go girlfriend! What a wonderful pile of treasures to be salvaged. They have found the perfect home. With you. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those are some amazing treasures. I can't get over the cards for $2, they're gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOWSA...all wonderful finds!! Old chests of drawers make lovely storage and those knobs...they are spendy alone. I LOVE the cards and the reverse silhouettes and I cannot believe someone parted with those lovely quilts! Enjoy your treasures :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  23. Incredible finds! I'm finding more and more interest in old typewriters, they do make a nice addition to vignettes. Wonderful blog, tami from the high street cottage

    ReplyDelete
  24. Superb finds! I am always on the look out for quilts and vintage ornaments. Yours a super special.

    ReplyDelete
  25. oh what lovely treasures! i find it difficult to walk past old books & cards :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. OMG!!! Love the door knobs!! and the ornaments!
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete
  27. What wonderful treasures! Loved the silhouettes!

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love all of your treasures, but especially the quilts and the greeting cards -- two things I just can never pass up!

    ReplyDelete
  29. They may have that Estate Sale again. From the website, it sounds like they will keep hauling more and more things up to the farm as they sell them. And that they will have more lots more sales. I hope your Mom gets to go. Would be so fun to find out what she thought of it.
    *hugs*deb
    ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you for linking up with Junkin Finds! I am so in love with all your finds. Wow is right! I love that chest and the knobs are amazing. I'm your newest follower and so happy to find your wonderful blog!!!

    Happy Junkin!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh, my! What a great haul!! I love those silhouettes!

    I think this could be addictive, seeing all this makes me want to go find a garage sale or thrift store! LOL!

    I like your blog!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great finds, but the knobs alone, ohh!

    ReplyDelete
  33. You found some great stuff there. Nice vintage typewriter.Love the quilts. I just posted about my old tattered quilt made by my mil many many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  34. You always find the best treasures- I want to come along shopping with you! I have noticed less and less sales too. I miss all the garage sales on every corner...

    ReplyDelete
  35. You got so many goodies-I'm jealous-love the knobs and the christmas ornaments!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Ohhh what great finds! I want the typing book from the year I was born. It's really not that old!
    have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Really cool stuff, Betsy! And I have no problem believing you NEED that tall chest. With all the goodies you have around, you probably could use a couple of those. Right? ;)

    Blessings,
    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  38. Came for a better look at the paperweight (the pic of which I found on google) and had to look at some of the other stuff too.

    Fascinating.

    I'd LOVE to read "The Principles of Indexing And Filing" ... do you plan to put it online? :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting My Salvaged Treasures. Your comments inspire me.