Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Friday's Yard Sale Finds

I wasn't planning on going out hunting this past weekend because I still had so much work to do before my antique show in Lodi on Sunday.  I started looking through the yard sale ads Friday morning just to see what I was missing, and there was one that caught my eye.  Block Sale, older neighborhood.  I couldn't resist.  I grabbed my money and out the door I went.  It wasn't much of a block sale with only 2 homes, but it sure made me happy.  The sweet lady having the sale said that most of the items belonged to her mother.  Her prices were really cheap, so I started my pile and kept a close watch on it.  Here's what I came home with...........


I like using pages from vintage sheet music for displaying lamps when I don't have a shade; I think it looks better than a light bulb or nothing at all.

I love this old rolling pin.  I filled it with black and white buttons and sold it already at the antique show on Sunday.

The sweet lady having the yard sale didn't recognize this woman, so I got four of them for $1.00.  I think I'd like to be repurposing those earrings.  Love that smirk on her face.

This metal basket is 28" tall including the handle that doesn't show up in this picture.

I like the chippy red paint on this old gas can.  I thought the croquet balls would look good displayed on a table in this silver bowl that I already had.  I tore off the fabric from the lamp shades and then added them to my "to do" list for the antique show in Lodi on Sunday. 

I bought three of these old burlap Diamond Walnut bags.  I'll probably end up covering something with them, or maybe making purses if I get to feeling real ambitious.  Or, I could always use them for walnuts again.

I'm linking up with:
The Coloradolady for Vintage Thingie Thursday and

 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/


28 comments:

Mindy said...

Betsy, these are all amazing finds! How do you find yard sales like this? What part of the United States do you live?

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Looks like you got some great finds.
I hit some sales last Saturday, but have not done a post - hopefully in the next day or two.

Angela said...

Wonderful finds...and I'll bet she was a spunky little lady, don't you?

Irma@CosasBellas said...

Hello Miss Betsy, what great finds you have there!
I especially luv the glass rolling pin, I've been wanting one of those forever and can't seem to come across one.
I don't know how you find the time to blog about your GS finds, as busy as you are. I always mean to take pics of my finds before their packed for a show and rarely get around to it.

Have a great show on Sunday, BIG HUG!!!

lisbonlioness said...

The walnut bag intrigues me... but that lady gets to me even more. ALMOST as if I knew her! Weird.

A Cottage Muse said...

Fabulous finds and I love your sheet music trick!

Stefanie said...

Great finds; love the huge metal basket; very interesting!

Petite Michelle Louise said...

what wonderful finds...we could never go junkin together! I would be grabbing ALL of that stuff right out of your hands! LOL! happy day!

Michelle L. said...

I love the rolled sheet music pages! You have such a brilliant eye for display. The walnut bags crack me up - Betsy, no, DO NOT use them for walnuts again! Something terrible will happen!

Tara Beaulieu said...

Ooooh, what a wonderful pile of loot you came home with- aren't you glad you ventured out?! Those croquet balls are fabulously colored- love them! Happy VTT!

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove said...

Lots of fun thrift finds! Love those lamps!

Postcardy said...

I wonder why there is a caution about using the bags for walnuts again--what about using them for other things...

GardenofDaisies said...

Your finds are super!! I like the little molds, and the pewter cream and sugar. The croquet balls are such fun colors and would look amazing in a centerpiece.

LV said...

It paid you to go out for a little garage sales. All your finds are very nice.

Coloradolady said...

Oh, I spotted that rolling pin right away!! Lovely finds for sure. I like those croquet balls too, so fun! Have a great VTT!

Melanie {The Tiny Tudor} said...

You always find the most amazing treasures! The expression in the picture is priceless : )

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

More great treasures...love that old gas can and that metal basket! Happy NTT!

Blessings,
Linda

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

the mental basket/vase is very unique and I never see one like that before and looks like you find great pretties here! thanks for sharing.
xo
fitty

Ormolulu said...

Hi Betsy . . . thanks for visiting Ormolulu! I guess we can all relate to procrastinating a bit when it comes to packing for shows (it gets old, doesn't it?!).

Good luck at your show this weekend too!

~ Debi

AshTreeCottage said...

Great finds. I love the burlap bag!!

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

Maureen said...

That was my kind of sale! I love the glass rolling pin and would love to find one.

Sarah said...

Fun finds. Glad you decide to take it in and share what you found.

Tiffany said...

I'd have been tempted to buy the rolling pin too! What a cute idea to fill it with buttons!

mo said...

Hi Betsy! You are so awsome. While I was reading your post I had this idea. Wouldn't it make a great TV show (kind of like Project Runway) where you have a group of people go off to yard sales and then use their findings to create something breathtaking. You would be the champion! I love your idea of the rolled up music paper! *hugs*

Sherry said...

Those are some really great finds! Love the little pewter pieces. Thanks for stopping by.
Sherry

kpaints said...

I ran through all your posts and just love how creative you are! Thanks for sharing and I will be reading all your posts now! I got several ideas I can't wait to put to work (play)! Lots of fun ideas here!

Sue (Vintage Rescue) said...

Why can't I find sales like that? I love the idea of the sheet music! And I think that metal basket is a funeral basket. Does it have a giant hoop handle? Regardless, you SCORED good loot!

Brambleberry Cottage said...

Using rolled sheet music for faux candles is such a clever embellishment for lamps, Betsy. And the burlap bags would make interesting totes, pillows or shades - with the wording displayed.

Blessings,
Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/