Sunday, September 26, 2010

Tracy's City Wide Garage Sale Haul

It was a good hunting day out there for Tracy's semi-annual city wide garage sale.  I was only out there on the prowl for a little over 2 hours, but I came home loaded.  Not me - my truck!  I think it was better this time, not so many homes officially participating - 37 down from the usual 100 plus.  Hmm, wonder why?  This time the official sale was on the east side of town.....prime pickin' spot full of older homes with years of accumulation.  The yard sale patrol won't shut you down if you have a sale on the west side, you just don't get your freebie ad in the newspaper.

The last time we had a garage sale was about 2 years ago during the city wide.  We vowed never to do it again during this time because there were just too many yard sales and it spread the bargain hunters real thin.  The local Goodwill and another thrift store really made out that day.  Cars and trucks were a dozen deep in both places waiting to unload the stuff that didn't sell.  Bright idea #1....I think I need to get myself over to both of those places today;-)

Here's my haul from Saturday:

I got this dresser for next to nothing because it's really in sad shape.  You can't tell from the picture, but the whole top is warped and coming off.  The mirror and frame are perfect, so I'm thinking about piecing this out.  I have an idea for the drawers and the piece holding up the mirror.  I love the frame on the long mirror that's sitting on the ground.  It needs some TLC, but the price was excellent.

Can you ever have too much silver?    I found six silver trays, pitcher, vase, flatware for stamping, glass doorknobs, and a lipstick holder.

I'm going to be turning that ugly duckling 70's style green globe into something fun.  I'll have to do a patch job on the old oval frame, then I think I'll put a cork board or black board in it.  The old card game came with a few hundred letters, the green thingy with the X and O is a glass ash tray, 4 vintage desert cups, and some jewels for repurposing.

3 oak Weis card holder boxes.

Little wood sewing box, kitchen stuff, and a tin full of sewing paraphernalia....haven't gone through it yet, but it looks interesting.

The white chippy mirror is good to go, but I might add something to the top just to make it pop.  I bought the little cabinet for parts: drawer, door, hardware.  It was only a few dollars because it has a big chunk out of the back and one side.  Repurpose, repurpose, repurpose:)

I already sanded down this table and it's going to be my first project.  The legs screw off, so it will be easy to transport to a show.  These lanterns are so heavy.  I think they'll get a coat of spray paint and then I'll put candles inside. 

3 Georgia B. Caldwell prints.

I was so excited when I spotted this old green metal cabinet.

I was even more excited when I opened it up and found all these buttons, thimbles, needles, and snaps.  5 drawers, 27 compartments full of goodies. 

Thank you Gertrude for your collection.


This week I'm linking up my garage sale finds with:
Southern Hospitality for Today's Thrifty Treasures and

 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/




30 comments:

  1. What a great haul!! That cabinet is so cool, and even better that there's stuff inside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great finds!!!
    Not finding much here lately. End of season for sales.
    Hoping for 1 last haul. =)

    blessings
    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did get a lot of food finds. Weather was beautiful here today so opened the back door let the breeze blow thru and cleaned out some things here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! You really did make a haul!! Especially the little green cabinet with all the stuff inside! And no, you can never have enough silver!! Smiles, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great finds! i love the vanity and all that silver!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great stuff! I love that silver vase. Its so pretty. The mirrors are all great. And Gertrude's metal box is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. MAN!! You did AWESOME!! It was a good weekend over all! I love the green cabinet and everything else you found...I think I need to thrift in your area!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! what a great haul!!! I'm exited for you, can't wait to see what you do with it, love the green drawers! and what's inside :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that dresser, there are so many possibilities!! Love the old silver and the buttons too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am absolutely loving all of your finds! It is rare for me to find as many goodies at one time. Love the green cabinet- way to go Gertrude...
    and the silver. No, you can never have too much! Didn't thrift this week- did the Country Living Fair, instead. Spent more money, too. LOL
    ~ Sue

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a load of treasures!!!! Love that old dresser and all the silver...hope you will have a fun time at my party this week:)

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everything is fantastic! I love the old green
    metal box filled with buttons. Have wanted one
    forever! Great finds!

    Jane
    Flora Doora

    ReplyDelete
  13. Me again! Thanks for visiting.
    I just posted a picture of my dining table just for you. :-D
    Have a great week.
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have found some awesome items! I must say the cabinet with all the buttons and sewing goodies is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow.. what an amazing day for you! These are some great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello pretty lady! Look at you and all your great finds! I wish I lived closer to you so I could tag along and be your apprentice =o)
    I can't wait to see how you re-purpose these treasures, you always seem to surprise me.
    I've been in a bloggers funk for a couple of weeks now, I seem to lack inspiration lately :(
    Do you ever feel that way?

    Hug!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW!! You have some awesome finds!! Wish I had known about it, I'm in Newman about 30 mins away....would have been so fun!!
    Maybe next year ;)
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete
  18. All those treasures in one day ~ wow you hit the jackpot!! So happy I stopped by!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Betsy! I cannot wait to see what you will do with all of these beautiful treasures. I absolutely LOVE the silver vase! What a treasure trove you found. Good work girl! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  20. They have one in the Spring too! Awesome!! Will have to lock that away in my mind...just have to rememeber where I put the key!!! LOL
    Thanks for letting me know ♥
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sheesh!! Betsy! ....I guess we both made good hauls this last weekend, but mine are much smaller items. I don't do furniture...used to, but not anymore.
    It kills me to leave it behind!
    I really, really love that little green cabinet with the drawers full of treasures! Looks like you got some lovely old buttons too! among other things!
    Good goin! and thanks for the visit!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, Betsy, all your finds are wonderful but best of all is that little green cabinet with the buttons! I gasped out loud. Those are the most fun finds, in my opinion!! Thank you for visiting my blog! I hope you'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just stopping by from Nifty Thrifty! You found some great treasures and I can't believe those card boxes. Oh so many things to do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! I love your blog!
    Awesome haul! You must be beside yourself!
    I'm now one of your "Followers", so I'll be back.
    Great photos too!
    Best,
    gabriele

    ReplyDelete
  25. OMG Betsy!!! You made out like a bandit!! We haven't quite entered "prime" garage sale season here yet. It's usually from Oct through December and then again from May through June. I can't wait to get out there and start.
    Many times I come home with nothing, but after all... The fun is in the hunt!
    xo,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  26. happy to meet you! Came over by way of Coastal Charm to have a look around. Love your style..your blog..everything! Am now a follower and will be back again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow!! that is an impressive stash there! LOVE IT! Especially the Caldwell prints. I have Linda from Coastal Charm to thank for letting me in on your neat blog. signing up to follow :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm so glad i found your blog! I just love it. I love all the great stuff you found. I spend a lot of time at garage sales, thrift stores,estate sales.I'll be back often....Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  29. What an awesome Haul!! I especially love the metal thingie with all the buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sooo many wonderful things from one big sale. WOW! By far, Gertrude's treasure chest of trinkets was my favorite. ;)

    Blessings,
    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting My Salvaged Treasures. Your comments inspire me.