Thursday, September 30, 2010

Old Mirror Transformation

It's already Thursday and I feel like I've spent the last 3 days going in circles.  I had such high hopes for diving into my projects out in the garage and then maybe having some time left over for jewelry repurposing.  I had to let some of my goodies from Saturday's city wide garage sale take a number and get in line with all the other projects.  Don't we all want to give our new found treasures priority? 

I've also spent many hours buried in piles of paperwork and research this week.  Gulp....Mr. MST is retiring in 2 weeks, but that's another post blog.  So much to think about, especially medical insurance choices, taxes,  Medicare and Medicare supplements, etc, etc.  So, when I grow up and retire (yeah, right), I'll be an expert.

Time for a little garage therapy........

I've been hauling this mirror around forever.   I was ready to just give it away if someone had asked me my best price; you can't argue with free.  Enough is enough!  Time for a makeover!  I decided to take out the mirror, paint the frame black, and put in a burlap covered cork board. 
It just wasn't meant to be. 

 When I removed the heavy back board, the whole frame fell apart.  Oops.  I just didn't want to spend the time gluing it all back together.

 I salvaged what I could.  I went to my handy dandy embossed wallpaper box and cut out two little circles.  I just licked them like a stamp and slapped them on.  This stuff is great to use in painted furniture refinishing projects.  It comes in all kinds of different patterns and is so easy to work with. 

This is what I ended up with.  I painted it white, roughed it up a bit, then rubbed it down with some brown acrylic paint mixed with a little water.  I attached a hook on the back because I thought it would look nice hanging over a door or window.

A vintage rhinestone button adds just a little sparkle.


One project out of the way is a start.  It's been really warm here the last few days, so maybe I'll just stay inside and work on some jewelry.  Sounds like a plan to me:)

I'm linking up with:


BRAMBLEBERRY COTTAGE


Photobucket

15 comments:

very merry vintage style said...

That rhinestone is perfect! I'm going to have to remember the embossed wallpaper fix idea too. Nice job!

Coco loves vintage said...

Looks good, & very much approve of the bit of sparkle :)

Stefanie said...

How clever is that! Hate that the mirror fell apart but at least you were able to salvage some of it and make something really neat with it!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Really like the touch of bling. You did good thinking out if the box. Me? i would have probably given up.

Michelle L. said...

How beautiful! An adorable objet. I love that embossed wallpaper, too, but I don't usually just lick it...

mo said...

Betsy, There you go again, finding the unexpected beautiful in the ordinary. I love what youv'e done. It sure would look lovely above any doorway, you are right. And the sparkle adds the finishing touch. Great Job! (Again) *hugs*

Laurie Jones said...

How clever is that!! Seriously I'm speechless, well except to say I love the bling!!

Mindy said...

Betsy, I love it. It's so much more versatile now than as a mirror. It looks great on your mantle, but you're right, it would look awesome above a door also. Well done!

Home and Heart said...

A darling "spit and polish" creation!!!

A Cottage Muse said...

Love it!!

julie miller said...

You did a great job salvaging what you could of this mirror!! I love the way it turned out! Julie

Lucy - By the Hill said...

Awesome! Love the embossed wallpaper idea and it sure adds to the look! The paint with that bit of distressing looks great, just nicely aged and shabby look.
Have a great creative weekend!

Envy My Cooking said...

Just found your blog through links. If you ever need new recipes or would like to be featured than please come visit us and become a follower than email us a recipe, find or a picture of your kitchen.. we would love to feature you

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

So sorry that it fell apart, but love what you made with it! Hop over and check out this weeks NTT party...I have featured YOU!!! Please feel free to grab my cute little starfish button for your blog. Hope you have a wonderful week!

Blessings,
Linda

Brambleberry Cottage said...

Sometimes you think you're going in one direction and things "fall apart," and you go in another. Sometimes the other direction is even better. I think the salvaged piece turned out great! Your personal embellishments were the perfect touches.

Thanks for linking to my party. I would love to have you join me each week.

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/