Monday, August 30, 2010

Niles Annual Antique Fair Finds

Sunday, I was up early and out of the house at 5:30am for the 46th Annual Antique Fair and Flea Market in the Historical Niles District in Fremont.  In addition to the antique show, blocks and blocks of surrounding homes participate in the city wide yard sale.  Most of the yard sales seem to start a little later, so I hit the main street first. 

Unfortunately, I couldn't help but be a little disappointed with the mixture of booths on the main street.  It's a flea market in addition to an antique show, but I really don't like having to walk by booths of sunglasses, t-shirts, hats, plastic food storage, etc., just to get to one of the too few antique booths.  OK, no more complaining.  I did get some fun stuff, but I really had to work for it.

This store wasn't open when I walked by, but it was interesting to look at the old bike parts through the window.
Do you think Mike and Frank (American Pickers) would be drooling over this?

I love the green paint on this rusty old Nemco garbage can, and one can never have too much silver.

This avocado green sewing basket was in perfect condition and a real bargain.  It was even a better bargain when I opened it and discovered it came with bunches of goodies.  I see more repurposed jewelry here.

I love this page from a 1950 house accounts ledger.
 xxx Valley Brook Drive, Falls Church, Va. 
Get a load of that house payment and balance!!! Another page lists the taxes....1950 yearly taxes were $106.86 and in 1959 they jumped way up to $318.00.  Oooooh.  I know, that was a lot of money back then.

I also bought some really cool 28" long Borden's wire milk baskets, a huge heavy wire stocking form, a tin type photo, and a few more smaller wire baskets.  I forgot to get them out of the back of my truck when I took these pictures.

I was a little frustrated with not being able to find a good bling pile until I spotted this when I was leaving.....


I probably spent 30 minutes sifting through it all, and this is what I ended up with....

Now I need to get busy repurposing. 

I'm linking up with:
Linda at Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays, and
Rhoda at Southern Hospitality for Today's Thrifty Treasures.
Stop by to see what wonderful treasures we've found.



20 comments:

Dragonfly Treasure said...

OMG!!! I have been to the Niles Flea Market in eons!! Need to try to make it next year.

Too bad commercial vendors have made their way into it. But looks like you scored some great finds!! Loving that huge bling pile!
*hugs*deb

Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage said...

Wow great finds!! Love that sewing kit!

Happy Nester said...

Awesome finds. I love that old silver trophy!

Sylvia said...

Ohhhh I so loved going to Fremont for the Niles Flea Market....do ppl still have garage sales all over the flea market Great finds!!!! Thanks for the memories.

Sylvia

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Wow you found some really great items. Love the green box with all the goodies!

Kelly said...

Wow, those are great finds! Make sure you show some photos of your creations out of jewels!

Thanks for sharing!

julie miller said...

Looks like you and I love the same things!! Great finds, especially all the bling!!! I just found your blog and am a new follower~~come and check me out! I have just started to play with making some repurposed jewelry and have been having fun with it! Smiles, Julie

lisbonlioness said...

Make mine that bling pile, I am overwhelmed!

the cape on the corner said...

oh my goodness, that's a lot of bling to go thru! it looks like you got some really nice pieces, but looking at all those piles makes me intimidated!

thanks so much for stopping by the cape on the corner, and for your comment on my free haul. you're right about the feeling of excitement you get, for sure. i imagine you got that when you came to that blingy section!

Blue Creek Home said...

Oh my goodness, digging for good stuff in all of those bling boxes had to be soooo much fun! I love doing that!

I went to a flea market a couple of weeks ago and I also got frustrated walking past all of the fake purses and dreadful cheap imports - I never got to the good stuff though!

Rhonda

Kari said...

I know what you mean with having to go through booths of tube socks for one both of something interesting. But it looks like it was worth it! I went back, I really like some of the items you have repurposed very clever!!

Melanie @ The Tiny Tudor said...

What great finds! I think Mike and Frank would certainly be jealous of that bike frame : )

Shannon said...

You have beautiful items! Thanks for sharing your finds as well! Sounds like a great place to go hunting!

Betty (picture circa 1951) said...

I know what you mean. All the booths with the stuff imported from China when I'm looking for vintage American. I love that little sewing case. I've never seen one like that before.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Lot of nice finds, but have to admit the containers of "bling" and what you picked out really got my attention! :-D I see lots of repurposing there. Have not been to the big flea market here in a long time because of all the imported junk and dealers wanting $5 for something worth 50cts. or less.
Enjoy your holiday weekend.

Lisa said...

Look at all the wonderful jewelry just begging to be browsed and looked through! There must be so many treasures in there! You found some gorgeous pieces!

Diana said...

Oh, I missed that one this year. I always find some great stuff there. It does seem like comercial ventures are making their way into too many flea markets. Love your pics.
Diana

Jennifer Beard said...

My mom has that exact same sewing box!
Jennifer B.

Brambleberry Cottage said...

I'll jump on the complain train with you, Betsy! For years, the Yankee and I shopped a show we've also been vendors at. It USED to be acres full of incredible vintage finds. Now, you have to weed through acres of yard sale junk (and not the right kind, either) and made in China items to find a few decent trinkets. We've stopped going on a regular basis because of that.

Now for the positive words. You still managed to leave with a load of treasure - it just took a lot more digging to unearth it. ;)

Blessings,
Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...
This comment has been removed by the author.